Past & Present – Part 1

Posted:

December 30, 1913/July 11, 2021 - Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Adelaide St W, in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows Hotel Lamb once occupied the corner and today is home to an office tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2039 - James Victor Salmon photographer)
December 30, 1913/July 11, 2021 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Yonge St and Adelaide St W, in downtown Toronto. The archive photo shows Hotel Lamb once occupied the corner and today is home to an office tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2039 – James Victor Salmon photographer)

1972/May 30, 2020 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Dundas St W in the Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows St Elizabeth of Hungary Roman Catholic Church, originally St Phillip’s Anglican Church, once located on the southwest corner. The structure was demolished in the late 1980s, and today, the corner is home to the Dragon City Mall
1972/May 30, 2020 – Looking southwest towards the corner of Spadina Ave and Dundas St W in the Chinatown neighbourhood of Toronto.

The archive photo shows St Elizabeth of Hungary Roman Catholic Church, originally St Phillip’s Anglican Church, once located on the southwest corner. The structure was demolished in the late 1980s, and today, the corner is home to the Dragon City Mall (City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Planning Board fonds, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 74, Item 13)

1946/2019 - The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre, located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, east of Broadview Ave in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was built in 1909, and architect Charles Wagner designed the theatre. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984
1946/2019 – The Opera House, originally La Plaza Theatre, located at 735 Queen St E and Lewis St, east of Broadview Ave in the Riverside neighbourhood of Toronto. The building was built in 1909, and architect Charles Wagner designed the theatre. The building received heritage status from the city in 1984 (Archives of Ontario I0012580)

2020/December 1969 - Looking towards the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto.

The Georgian-style structure was built circa 1830 to 1840 for John Bishop, butcher and landlord, and was initially part of five brick townhouses. It was later a boarding house and various hotels, and from 1965 until the 1980s, it became home to the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the 3-storey building, known as the Bishop’s Block, was dismantled and carefully restored to appear as it did before a 1910 renovation. 

Today the heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto, a members-only club
2020/December 1969 – Looking towards the northeast corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto.

The Georgian-style structure was built circa 1830 to 1840 for John Bishop, butcher and landlord, and was initially part of five brick townhouses. It was later a boarding house and various hotels, and from 1965 until the 1980s, it became home to the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the 3-storey building, known as the Bishop’s Block, was dismantled and carefully restored to appear as it did before a 1910 renovation.

Today the heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto, a members-only club (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, ID 49)

1972/2020 - Hair Of The Dog Neighbourhood Pub & Restaurant at 425 Church St and Wood St, northeast corner - once Le Baron Steak House
1972/2020 – Hair Of The Dog Neighbourhood Pub & Restaurant at 425 Church St and Wood St, northeast corner – once Le Baron Steak House (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 17, Item 2)

1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St - built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style
1900-20/2020 – Looking southeast towards Little Trinity Church at 425 King St E and Trinity St – built in 1843/44, architect Henry Bowyer Lane designed the church in the Gothic Revival style (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 676, Item 15)

1972/2020 – Looking northwest towards George's Spaghetti House, once located at 290 Dundas St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto's Garden District. Doug Cole, the founder of Toronto's jazz movement, opened the live jazz club in 1956. In 1983, Mr Cole sold George's Spaghetti House, and a year later, the new owner moved the jazz club up to the second floor. The building was later home to True Love Cafe in 2004; however, it has since closed. In 2021, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Garden District Heritage Conservation District
1972/2020 – Looking northwest towards George’s Spaghetti House, once located at 290 Dundas St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Garden District. Doug Cole, the founder of Toronto’s jazz movement, opened the live jazz club in 1956. In 1983, Mr Cole sold George’s Spaghetti House, and a year later, the new owner moved the jazz club up to the second floor.

The building was later home to True Love Cafe in 2004; however, it has since closed. In 2021, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Garden District Heritage Conservation District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 50, Item 8)

2020/1899 - Looking west from Sudbury St towards the King Street West Railway Subway Underpass
2020/1899 – Looking west from Sudbury St towards the King Street West Railway Subway Underpass (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 376, File 2, Item 18)

2020/1930 – The Mackenzie House is located at 82 Bond St, just south of Dundas St E in downtown Toronto. The historic property was the last home of William Lyon Mackenzie, Toronto's first mayor. The house received heritage status from the City in 1973
2020/1930 – The Mackenzie House is located at 82 Bond St, just south of Dundas St E in downtown Toronto. The historic property was the last home of William Lyon Mackenzie, Toronto’s first mayor. The house received heritage status from the City in 1973 (Toronto Public Library R-733)

1912/2020 – The Keg Mansion is located at 515 Jarvis St, just north of Wellesley St E in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. The home was once the residence of the Massey family
1912/2020 – The Keg Mansion is located at 515 Jarvis St, just north of Wellesley St E in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood. The home was once the residence of the Massey family (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 3070)

1905/2020 – The Alumnae Theatre Company, originally the Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4, located at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the firehall in the Edwardian Classical style. In 1952, the wooden top portion of the tower was removed. Toronto’s Fire Hall No. 4 was decommissioned in 1970. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1905/2020 – The Alumnae Theatre Company, originally the Berkeley Street Fire Hall No. 4, located at 70 Berkeley St and Adelaide St E on the southwest corner in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. Built in 1905, architect Alexander Frank Wickson designed the firehall in the Edwardian Classical style. In 1952, the wooden top portion of the tower was removed. Toronto’s Fire Hall No. 4 was decommissioned in 1970. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 41, Item 800)

2020/1920s - Jesse Ketchum Junior and Senior Public School is located at 61 Davenport Rd and Bay St
2020/1920s – Jesse Ketchum Junior and Senior Public School is located at 61 Davenport Rd and Bay St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 265)

1927/2020 - Leuty Lifeguard Station is located at the foot of Leuty Ave on Kew Beach in The Beaches neighbourhood
1927/2020 – Leuty Lifeguard Station is located at the foot of Leuty Ave on Kew Beach in The Beaches neighbourhood (Library and Archives Canada a097339)

2021/1972 - Campbell House Museum at ‪160 Queen St West
2021/1972 – Campbell House Museum at ‪160 Queen St West (City of Toronto Archives)

March 15, 2020/1919 – The Wesley Building, today home to Bell Media Headquarters, at the southeast corner of Queen St W and John St, in the Entertainment District neighbourhoods of Toronto. Designed in 1913 by the architectural firm Burke, Horwood & White, the Neo-Gothic landmark was constructed between 1914 and 1915. The elegant five-storey structure was built to house the Methodist Book & Publishing Company. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
March 15, 2020/1919 – The Wesley Building, today home to Bell Media Headquarters, at the southeast corner of Queen St W and John St, in the Entertainment District neighbourhoods of Toronto.

Designed in 1913 by the architectural firm Burke, Horwood & White, the Neo-Gothic landmark was constructed between 1914 and 1915. The elegant five-storey structure was built to house the Methodist Book & Publishing Company. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 761)

1972/February 29, 2020 – The former Canada House Tavern, once the Kormann House Hotel, is located at 229 Queen St E and Sherbourne St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 2007. The building sits empty with plans for redevelopment
1972/February 29, 2020 – The former Canada House Tavern, once the Kormann House Hotel, is located at 229 Queen St E and Sherbourne St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto. The building received heritage status from the city in 2007. The building sits empty with plans for redevelopment (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 60, Item 24)

1976/2019 – Paul Kane House, the former home of the Canadian artist, is located at 56 Wellesley St E. Built in 1853, the Kane family owned the home until 1903. A church hall for many years, the city purchased the property in 1978, and today the heritage house is within a parkette. It was made possible by the efforts of local citizens and heritage organizations
1976/2019 – Paul Kane House, the former home of the Canadian artist, is located at 56 Wellesley St E. Built in 1853, the Kane family owned the home until 1903. A church hall for many years, the city purchased the property in 1978, and today the heritage house is within a parkette. It was made possible by the efforts of local citizens and heritage organizations (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 616, Item 7)

2020/1959 – The former rectory once at 236 Avenue Rd, directly south of the Church of the Messiah - now home to KMH Cardiology Centres Inc
2020/1959 – The former rectory once at 236 Avenue Rd, directly south of the Church of the Messiah – now home to KMH Cardiology Centres Inc (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 56, Item 45)

1972/2020 - Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Parliament St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto
1972/2020 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Queen St E and Parliament St in the Moss Park neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 16, Item 13)

1920/2020 – Dundas St E and Mutual St, northwest corner – in the background was the former Robert Simpson Co. Ltd. Warehouse built in 1910
1920/2020 – Dundas St E and Mutual St, northwest corner – in the background was the former Robert Simpson Co. Ltd. Warehouse built in 1910 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 253)

SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,817FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow