Parkdale Theatre was once located at 1605 Queen St W (at Triller Ave on the southwest corner) in the Parkdale neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1919, Detroit-based architect Charles Howard Crane designed the theatre for brothers Jule and Jay Allen. The luxurious movie palace opened in April 1920. The Parkdale Theatre featured 1,500 leather seats, gilded details, crystal chandeliers and a decorative plaster ceiling.
When the theatre closed in 1970, the building was used as commercial space for Eaton’s Bargain Centre Clearance Store, Brewer’s Retail, MacLean Hunter Cable TV Parkdale, a book store, antique dealers and more.
In 2020, the historic theatre was converted into a multi-use event venue called The Parkdale Hall. The ornate ceiling has been beautifully restored to its original grandeur. That same year, the building received heritage status from the City of Toronto.
Other theatres in the city that were part of the Allen brothers’ chain include:
Allen, later the Tivoli once at Richmond St E and Victoria St
Allen’s Beach once at Queen St E and Waverley Rd
Allen’s Beaver once at Dundas St W, east of Pacific Ave
Allen’s Bloor, today’s Lee’s Palace at Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St