Paramount Theatre was once located at 1069 St. Clair Ave W (between Lauder Ave and Glenholme Ave on the south side) in the Regal Heights and St Clair West Village neighbourhoods in Toronto.
Opening on August 22, 1935, the Paramount Theatre featured Spanish-American style architecture with extra wide seats and “cool water-washed air.” It also had the latest type of silver screen, constructed so patrons seated at the sides of the auditorium would not have a distorted view. The gala night movies were “Sweet Music,” starring Rudy Vallee and Ann Dvorak and “In Spite of Danger,” starring Marian Marsh and Wallace Ford.
According to the Toronto City Directory, the Paramount Theatre was last listed in 1957.
Today, the former theatre building is home to Certified Dry Cleaners.
Paramount Theatre Photos
- The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Aug 22, 1935, pg 12
- The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Aug 23, 1935, pg 25
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
- Toronto City Directory by Might Directories Ltd 1936 & 1957 courtesy of Toronto Public Library