Odeon Theatre, later the Regal Theatre was once located at 1473 Queen St W (between Jameson Ave and Dowling Ave, opposite Fuller Ave on the south side) in the Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhoods of Toronto.
Built in 1931, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the theatre for GB Garabino. The cost to construct the movie house was approximately $100,000. “Modernistic in treatment” the theatre was faced with stone, stucco, black Vetrolite® and trimmed in stainless steel. The Odeon Theatre opened on December 5, 1931, with the movie Palmy Days starring Eddie Canter and Charlotte Greenwood.
While this theatre is named the Odeon, it should not be confused with the J Arthur Rank Odeon chain, nor the previous Odeon Theatre at 1558 Queen St W, which was just down the street, on the north side.
The movie house later joined the 20th Century Theatres chain. In 1968, the lease expired on the building, and the theatre closed. In the mid-1970s, the theatre was briefly reopened and named the Regal. After the theatre closed again, the building was demolished and replaced with the present-day mixed-use structure.
Odeon Theatre Photos
The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: May 22, 1931, pg 33
The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Jul 17, 1931, pg 25
The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Dec 5, 1931, pg 8
The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Jan 23, 1957, pg 19