Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, also known as McCaul Street Synagogue, was originally home to New Richmond Methodist Church and was once located at 65-69 McCaul St (on the east side opposite Grange Rd) in Downtown Toronto.
Built in 1888/89 at the cost of $23,000, architects Smith & Gemmel designed the New Richmond Methodist Church. Their previous church was on Richmond St W, hence the name.
In 1905 the McCaul Street Synagogue purchased the building. In 1952, they left the McCaul St location to merge with their sister Synagogue, Goel Tzedec, at 403 University Ave and were renamed Beth Tzedec. The congregation later moved to their current location at 1700 Bathurst St.
The building at 65-69 McCaul St no longer exists. McCaul St was previously known as Renfrew St.
McCaul Street Synagogue Photos
The Globe Newspaper Archives: Jun 18, 1888, pg 8
Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 406-408