Looking towards the Loblaw Groceterias Company Limited building at the northeast corner of Lake Shore Blvd W and Bathurst St, in the CityPlace neighbourhood of Toronto.
The 4-storey, Art Deco style building was constructed between 1927 and 1928, serving as the grocery chain’s warehouse and head office. It was designed by architects Sparling, Martin and Forbes and was one of the first structures in Toronto built on land reclaimed from Lake Ontario.
The most modern facility of its time, there were ovens that baked a ton of cake and a half-ton of cookies daily, six huge freight elevators, an overhead electric tram railway and pneumatic tubes that carried messages to the various departments. Loblaw’s specialty brands, including coffee, tea, candy and meats, were also manufactured and packaged there.
Today, the heritage-designated building is home to a Loblaws grocery store along with other retail stores operated by the company. Notice the CN Tower in the background.