Looking southeast towards what was originally the Little York Hotel and Stable at the corner of King St E and George St, in Toronto’s Old Town neighbourhood. Built between 1879 and 1880, architects Langley, Langley and Burke designed the four-storey hotel (at 187 King St E) and stable (in rear at 65 George St) for the innkeeper Robert Waterhouse.
The Second Empire-style red brick former hotel building features a mansard roof and carved keystones over the arched entrances and windows on the King St E side. Today, the heritage-designated buildings are home to commercial space. Before the construction of the Little York Hotel, the corner was the site of the first public school in the Town of York, which opened on June 1, 1807.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives