The Keg Mansion is a stately home located at 515 Jarvis St (just north of Wellesley St E on the northeast corner) in the Upper Jarvis neighbourhood of Toronto.
The Architecture of Keg Mansion
Built in 1868, the Gothic-style mansion was designed by William Young for Arthur McMaster (nephew of William McMaster, who founded the university). At the time, this part of Jarvis St was known as “Millionaires Row.” It was where the city’s upper class went to escape the busy downtown.
When Mr McMaster passed away in the early 1880s, the home was purchased by Hart Massey, the very successful agricultural equipment manufacturer. The house was named Euclid Hall and, at one time, had a greenhouse on the south side. The Massey family also built one of Canada’s most influential entertainment venues, Massey Hall.
The Home After the Massey’s
When the Masseys no longer owned the mansion, it became a women’s college, a veterans hospital, an art/antiques gallery and in 1927, the first home of CFRB radio station (today’s Newstalk 1010). In the 1960s, it became the popular Julie’s Restaurant and the Bombay Bicycle Club (upstairs).
This historic jewel received heritage status from the city in 1975. In the mid-1970s, the mansion became home to The Keg Steakhouse + Bar, which is still the restaurant.
There are rumours of a few ghosts haunting the Keg Mansion. One such spirit is thought to be the maid of Lillian Massey Treble (the only daughter of Hart Massey). After Lillian’s passing, the maid was so distraught that she hanged herself in the foyer. Some have said a female presence exists in the women’s washroom. Stall doors unlock, and toilets flush all by themselves plus, they’ve had the eerie feeling that someone is watching them. There have also been sightings of a young boy playing on the staircase and the sounds of children playing upstairs. Click for more haunted tales.