Joy Theatre, originally the Rex, was once located at 1130 Queen St E (at Bertmount Ave, on the northeast corner) in the Leslieville neighbourhood of Toronto.
The Rex Theatre opened in the mid-1910s, and in the early 1940s, it was renamed, Joy. When the theatre closed in the mid-1950s, the building became home to the Grads Club, and for several decades, Stratenger’s occupied the building.
Today, the former theatre building is home to Dave’s Hot Chicken.
Joy Theatre Photos
The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Apr 9, 1958, pg 18