Looking northeast towards the Miller Tavern, previously the Jolly Miller Hotel, at the northeast corner of Yonge St and Mill St in the Hoggs Hollow neighbourhood of North York.
Constructed circa 1857 by William and James Hogg, the building was originally the York Mills Hotel. From 1889 until 1925, it was known as Birrell’s Hotel; however, it gradually gained an unsavoury reputation. In 1930, the building was remodelled and renamed the Jolly Miller Hotel. For a short time, it was a fancy dining and dancing club featuring live music before reverting to its previous notoriety. By the mid-1960s, the Jolly Miller was strictly a tavern.
In 1997, the City of North York purchased the property and closed the tavern. The heritage-designated building was later renovated, and since 2004, it has been home to the Miller Tavern.