Looking southwest towards the corner of Gerrard St E and Jarvis St, in the Garden District of Toronto. The archive photo shows Nicholls Drug Store and a fire-ravaged Avonmore Hotel. The hotel opened in 1891; however, in March 1940, a fatal blaze swept through the building. The hotel continued to operate for the next few decades. In the late 1970s, the corner became a parking lot, and today, it’s the site of a residential building.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: Toronto Public Library