March 27, 1956/2023 – Looking west along Gerrard St E towards Jarvis St, in the Garden District of Toronto. In the archive photo on the left, the building behind Nicholls Drug Store was the Avonmore Hotel which opened circa 1891. The corner became a parking lot in the late 1970s and is home to a residential building today.
In the archive photo on the right were several large homes, many of which were rooming houses at the time. Harvey’s and other businesses are located on this stretch of Gerrard St E today.