Looking southwest towards the Imperial Theatre, today’s Ed Mirvish Theatre, at 244 Victoria St in the Garden District of Toronto. Built in 1919/20, the theatre was originally known as Pantages and was part of the Pantages chain that operated more than 120 theatres throughout North America. It later became known as the Imperial and then, in the early 1970s, the Imperial Six when the 3,500+ seat theatre was converted into one of the world’s first multiplexes.
By 1989, the theatre was rebuilt for live productions, renamed the Pantages, and the Phantom of the Opera started a ten-year run. In more recent years, it was known as Canon Theatre and, since 2011, the Ed Mirvish Theatre.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: York University Libraries