Looking northeast towards the corner of King St E and Sherbourne St in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows 230 King St E as a branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce; however, the building was originally the Imperial Bank of Canada.
Built in 1908, the Toronto-based architecture firm Darling & Pearson designed the two-storey Edwardian Classical style building. In 1961, the bank merged with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, and until 2000, the building served as a branch. In 2005, the former bank building’s buff brick and stone trim façade was restored and became the entrance of Kings Court Condo. Another preserved element is the original mosaic floor with the initials “IBC” in the condominium’s lobby.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives