The former Ideal Bread Company Factory, now the Argyle Lofts, is located at 183-193 Dovercourt Rd (at Arygle St on the northeast corner), in the Beaconsfield Village neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1919 in the Edwardian Classical style, the Ideal Bread Company Factory was designed by Sydney Comber, a Montreal architect. He also designated the two additions done in 1923 and 1933. The historic building is constructed of steel and concrete with brick cladding, brick, artificial stone and metal detailing. The baked goods factory was owned by William and Charles Curruthers (brothers) and Robert McMullen however the company was founded in the early 1910s.
On each level, the windows were uniquely designed to show the separation by factory floors, of the processes that went into making the bread.
Bread Making Process by Floor
- 5th Floor: The Penthouse level originally had an assembly hall, stage and seating for 400.
- 4th Floor: Mixing.
- 3rd Floor: Dough shaping and baking. This level had an extending ceiling to accommodate the gas-fired traveling ovens (slides 4 & 7). The ovens produced 7,000 loaves of freshly baked bread each hour.
- 2nd Floor: Bread was conveyed to this floor for packaging.
- 1st Floor: The finished baked goods were moved to the ground floor where it was loaded through the arched doors onto delivery wagons and later, trucks.
The factory was a working bakery until 1957 and the building given heritage status in 2002. Today, it’s home to the Argyle Lofts. The historic building was converted to over 80 lofts in 2007. The bakery’s original clock is still above the front door.
Did you know?
- Argyle St was once called Cedar St.
- In the 1800’s, the Denison family owned land in the area and built an estate called “Dover Court”. It was named after their ancestral home in Essex, England.