Looking southeast towards the YWCA Toronto head office, originally the House of Industry, at the corner of Elm St at Elizabeth St in downtown Toronto.
Built in 1848, the building was housing for low-income seniors. Architect William Thomas designed the building in the Tudor-Gothic style. In 1899, designs by architect EJ Lennox expanded the building, adding a third storey along with wings on the east and west sides. In 1946, the building was renamed the Laughlen Lodge, and in 1976, the east and west wings were removed.
Today, the heritage-designated remnants of the House of Industry are the main entrance to YWCA Toronto’s head office at 87 Elm St. Attached to the south side of the building is the Elm Centre, with 300 units of affordable and supportive housing.