Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, originally the Madison

2021 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side in The Annex neighbourhood
2021 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side in The Annex neighbourhood

Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is located at 506 Bloor St W (east of Bathurst St on the north side) in The Annex neighbourhood of Toronto.

Opening in 1913 as a film house, architect John Alexander Mackenzie designed the Madison Theatre.

In 1940, the theatre was purchased by the 20th Century Theatres chain. They hired the renowned Toronto architect duo Kaplan & Sprachman to design the theatre. In creating the new structure, nearly all of the original was demolished, except for two side walls. In 1941, the brand new Midtown Theatre opened.

In 1967, under Famous Players’ management, the theatre was renamed the Capri. Six years later, its name was changed again, becoming the Eden which featured adult movies. In 1979, the Eden closed and reopened as the Bloor Theatre.

The following year, it was taken over by Carm Bordonaro in partnership with the Festival Cinemas chain and renamed Bloor Cinema.

In 2011, the theatre was sold to the partnership of the Blue Ice Group and Hot Docs. One year later, the historic theatre reopened as the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema after an extensive renovation. With a gift from the Rogers Foundation, Hot Docs bought the theatre from their partner and, in 2016, became known as Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema. It’s the world’s first and largest documentary cinema.

For over a century, there’s been a theatre at 506 Bloor St W. Other theatres once in the neighbourhood included Allen’s Bloor (today’s Lee’s Palace), the Alhambra and the Metro.

Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema Photos

2021 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side in The Annex neighbourhood
2021 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side in The Annex neighbourhood
2015 - Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, today's Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, at 506 Bloor St W in The Annex neighbourhood
2015 – Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, today’s Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, at 506 Bloor St W in The Annex neighbourhood (Google Maps)
2011 - Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W was previously called Bloor Cinema
2011 – Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W was previously called Bloor Cinema (Google Maps)
1980s - Bloor Cinema, today's Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, is located at 506 Bloor St W
1980s – Bloor Cinema, today’s Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, is located at 506 Bloor St W (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
1945 - Midtown Theatre, known today as Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, is located on Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St. On the marquee, “Kiss and Tell,” starring Shirley Temple, Jerome Courtland and Walter Abel, was playing. Notice FW Woolworth Co Ltd, today's Dollarama, on the left
1945 – Midtown Theatre, known today as Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, is located on Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St. On the marquee, “Kiss and Tell,” starring Shirley Temple, Jerome Courtland and Walter Abel, was playing. Notice FW Woolworth Co Ltd, today’s Dollarama, on the left (Archives of Ontario I0012578)
Between 1941 and 1942 - Midtown Theatre, originally the Madison Theatre, was once located at 506 Bloor St W. On the marquee, “Come on George,” starring George Formby, Pat Kirkwood and Joss Ambler and “Hit the Road,” starring Gladys George, Barton MacLane and Billy Halop, were playing
Between 1941 and 1942 – Midtown Theatre, originally the Madison Theatre, was once located at 506 Bloor St W. On the marquee, “Come on George,” starring George Formby, Pat Kirkwood and Joss Ambler and “Hit the Road,” starring Gladys George, Barton MacLane and Billy Halop, were playing (City of Toronto Archives, E.L. Ruddy Company Fonds, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 6047)
1945 – The auditorium and screen at the Midtown Theatre
1945 – The auditorium and screen at the Midtown Theatre (Archives of Ontario I0012579)
Date unknown – The Midtown Theatre auditorium and balcony
Date unknown – The Midtown Theatre auditorium and balcony (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
Late 1940s - On the Midtown Theatre marquee, "Champion," starring Kirk Douglas and Marilyn Maxwell and "The Gentleman from Nowhere," starring Warner Baxter and Fay Baker, were playing
Late 1940s – On the Midtown Theatre marquee, “Champion,” starring Kirk Douglas and Marilyn Maxwell and “The Gentleman from Nowhere,” starring Warner Baxter and Fay Baker, were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
1950 - On the Midtown Theatre marquee, “So Young, So Bad,” starring Paul Henreid, Catherine McLeod and Grace Coppin and “The Palomino,” starring Jerome Courtland, Beverly Tyler and Joseph Calleia, were playing
1950 – On the Midtown Theatre marquee, “So Young, So Bad,” starring Paul Henreid, Catherine McLeod and Grace Coppin and “The Palomino,” starring Jerome Courtland, Beverly Tyler and Joseph Calleia, were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
Early 1950s - Promoting "The Milkman" movie at the Midtown Theatre which starred Donald O'Connor and Jimmy Durante. Today the theatre is home to Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema
Early 1950s – Promoting “The Milkman” movie at the Midtown Theatre which starred Donald O’Connor and Jimmy Durante. Today the theatre is home to Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
Early 1950s - Midtown Theatre was once located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. On the marquee, "Rocketship X-M," starring Lloyd Bridges and Osa Massen and "Father Is a Bachelor," starring William Holden and Coleen Gray, were playing
Early 1950s – Midtown Theatre was once located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. On the marquee, “Rocketship X-M,” starring Lloyd Bridges and Osa Massen and “Father Is a Bachelor,” starring William Holden and Coleen Gray, were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Ken Webster Fonds, Fonds 251, Series 1278, File 103)
1960 - Looking east from Bathurst St along Bloor St W. Notice the Midtown Theatre sign above the Jane/Bloor streetcar. Today the theatre is home to Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema
1960 – Looking east from Bathurst St along Bloor St W. Notice the Midtown Theatre sign above the Jane/Bloor streetcar. Today the theatre is home to Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 100, Item 2262)
1914 - Madison Theatre was once located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. The theatre stood where Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is today. The image also shows the Cut Rate Millinery store, operated by Harold R Phoenix, on the right and a United Cigar Store Limited on the left
1914 – Madison Theatre was once located at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. The theatre stood where Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema is today. The image also shows the Cut Rate Millinery store, operated by Harold R Phoenix, on the right and a United Cigar Store Limited on the left (Toronto Public Library TSPA_0115383F)
1919 - The Madison Theatre building was replaced with the current structure in the early-1940s. There has been a theatre on the site for over a century, including the Midtown, Capri, Eden, Bloor Cinema, Bloor Hot Docs Cinema and today's Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema
1919 – The Madison Theatre building was replaced with the current structure in the early-1940s. There has been a theatre on the site for over a century, including the Midtown, Capri, Eden, Bloor Cinema, Bloor Hot Docs Cinema and today’s Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 800)
2022 - Looking northeast towards the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. There has been a theatre in this location since 1913
2022 – Looking northeast towards the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema at 506 Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St on the north side. There has been a theatre in this location since 1913
1914- The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Madison Theatre
1914- The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Madison Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1943 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Midtown Theatre
1943 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Midtown Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1969 - The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Capri Theatre
1969 – The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Capri Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1976 - The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Eden Theatre
1976 – The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Eden Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1982 - The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Bloor Cinema
1982 – The Toronto Yellow Pages showing the address and phone number of the Bloor Cinema (Toronto Public Library)
Source