Toronto Hotels – Past & Present – T to Z

The Broadview Hotel

2021 - The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner – once Dingman’s Hall built in 1891 for Archibald W Dingman
2021 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner – once Dingman’s Hall built in 1891 for Archibald W Dingman
1945 - The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner
1945 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 518)
1920’s – Looking east along Queen St E towards Broadview Ave with The Broadview Hotel on the left side
1920’s – Looking east along Queen St E towards Broadview Ave with The Broadview Hotel on the left side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2515)
1982 – Looking southwest towards Queen St E with The Broadview House on the right side
1982 – Looking southwest towards Queen St E with The Broadview House on the right side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 7, Item 146)
1983 - The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner
1983 – The Broadview Hotel at 106 Broadview Ave at Queen St E, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 50, Item 12)
1918 – Looking north up Broadview Ave from Queen St E with The Broadview Hotel on the left
1918 – Looking north up Broadview Ave from Queen St E with The Broadview Hotel on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 748)

The Drake Hotel

2019 - The Drake Hotel at 1150 Queen St W and Beaconsfield Ave, northeast corner – built in 1890 and opened as a hotel
2019 – The Drake Hotel at 1150 Queen St W and Beaconsfield Ave, northeast corner – built in 1890 and opened as a hotel
2021 – Looking north at The Drake Hotel at 1150 Queen St W and Beaconsfield Ave - built in 1890 and opened as a hotel
2021 – Looking north at The Drake Hotel at 1150 Queen St W and Beaconsfield Ave – built in 1890 and opened as a hotel

The Four Seasons Motor Hotel

1960’s - Opened in 1961, The Four Seasons Motor Hotel, once at 415 Jarvis St, north of Carlton St on the east side - building no longer exists
1960’s – Opened in 1961, The Four Seasons Motor Hotel, once at 415 Jarvis St, north of Carlton St on the east side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 492, Item 169)

The Grand Hotel and Suites

2020 - The Grand Hotel and Suites at 225 Jarvis St, south of Dundas St E on the east side – the hotel is now closed
2020 – The Grand Hotel and Suites at 225 Jarvis St, south of Dundas St E on the east side – the hotel is now closed
2020 - The Grand Hotel and Suites at 225 Jarvis St, south of Dundas St E on the east side – the hotel is now closed
2020 – The Grand Hotel and Suites at 225 Jarvis St, south of Dundas St E on the east side – the hotel is now closed

The National Hotel

1945 – The National Hotel once at 249-251 King St E and Sherbourne St, southeast corner
1945 – The National Hotel once at 249-251 King St E and Sherbourne St, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, File 1057, Item 531)

New Carlton Hotel

1899-1918 - The New Carlton Hotel once at 155 Yonge St and Richmond St E, southeast corner - building no longer exists
1899-1918 – The New Carlton Hotel once at 155 Yonge St and Richmond St E, southeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1587, Series 409, Item 33)

The Palmer House

1910 - The Palmer House once at King St W and York St, northwest corner - building no longer exists
1910 – The Palmer House once at King St W and York St, northwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7218)

The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar

2021 - The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
2021 – The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
1972 - Rex Hotel at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
1972 – Rex Hotel at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 65, Item 36)
1972 – Looking south towards Queen St W from St Patrick St - The Rex Hotel on the right
1972 – Looking south towards Queen St W from St Patrick St – The Rex Hotel on the right (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 65, Item 34)
1988 – Looking west towards St Patrick St along Queen St W - The Rex Hotel on the right beyond the yellow police car
1988 – Looking west towards St Patrick St along Queen St W – The Rex Hotel on the right beyond the yellow police car (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 345, Item 25)
2021 - The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
2021 – The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
2021 - The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner
2021 – The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar at 194 Queen St W at St Patrick St, northeast corner

The Strathcona Hotel

2021 - The Strathcona Hotel at 60 York St, south of Wellington St W on the east side
2021 – The Strathcona Hotel at 60 York St, south of Wellington St W on the east side

The Westlake (also New Toronto Hotel)

2021 - The Westlake at 2847 Lake Shore Blvd at Fourth St, southwest corner - once the New Toronto Hotel
2021 – The Westlake at 2847 Lake Shore Blvd at Fourth St, southwest corner – once the New Toronto Hotel
2021/1945 - The Westlake at 2847 Lake Shore Blvd at Fourth St, southwest corner - once New Toronto Hotel
2021/1945 – The Westlake at 2847 Lake Shore Blvd at Fourth St, southwest corner – once New Toronto Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, File, Item 530)

Ulster Arms Hotel

1945 - Ulster Arms Hotel once at 1345 Gerrard St E, west of Highfield Rd on the south side
1945 – Ulster Arms Hotel once at 1345 Gerrard St E, west of Highfield Rd on the south side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 540)

Union Hotel (also White Hotel)

1965 - Union Hotel, previously the White Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side - building no longer exists
1965 – Union Hotel, previously the White Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Series 65, File 284, Item 17)
1964 - Union Hotel next to the Broadway Theatre once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side across from the new City Hall - building no longer exists
1964 – Union Hotel next to the Broadway Theatre once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side across from the new City Hall – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 15, Item 17)
1945 - Union Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side - building no longer exists
1945 – Union Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 541)

Union Hotel Parkdale

1896 - Union Hotel Parkdale once at Queen St W and Dufferin St, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1896 – Union Hotel Parkdale once at Queen St W and Dufferin St, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 376, File 1, Item 72)
1894 – Looking west along Queen St W the Union Hotel Parkdale on the right was once at Queen St W and Dufferin St, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1894 – Looking west along Queen St W, the Union Hotel Parkdale on the right was once at Queen St W and Dufferin St, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 200, Series 376, File 1, Item 56)

Variety Hotel (also Hotel Aberdeen, Osgoode House)


1955 – Variety Hotel, previously Osgoode House and Hotel Aberdeen Cafe once at 112-114 Queen St W at Chestnut St, northeast corner – building no longer exists and today, Chestnut St does not meet Queen St W
1955 – Variety Hotel, previously Osgoode House and Hotel Aberdeen Cafe once at 112-114 Queen St W at Chestnut St, northeast corner – building no longer exists and today, Chestnut St does not meet Queen St W (Toronto Public Library, R-3611)

Village House Hotel

1950 - Village House Hotel once at Elm St and Bay St, southeast corner
1950 – Village House Hotel once at Elm St and Bay St, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 548)
1950 - Village House Hotel once at Elm St and Bay St, southeast corner
1950 – Village House Hotel once at Elm St and Bay St, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 549)

Walker House Hotel

1972 - Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1972 – Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, Item 56)
1945 - Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1945 – Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 542)
1976 – Looking southeast, the Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W – building no longer exists - further east is Union Station
1976 – Looking southeast, the Walker House Hotel once at York St and Front St W – building no longer exists – further east is Union Station (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 3, Item 58)
1916 - Walker House Hotel cafeteria
1916 – Walker House Hotel cafeteria (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1034, Item 803)

Warwick Hotel

1972 - Warwick Hotel once at 202 Jarvis Stat Dundas St E, northwest corner - building no longer exists
1972 – Warwick Hotel once at 202 Jarvis Stat Dundas St E, northwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032 Series 841, File 9, Item 8)

West Queen West Hotel

2019 - West Queen West Hotel at 1521 Queen St W, between Beaty Ave and Wilson Park Rd on the south side
2019 – West Queen West Hotel at 1521 Queen St W, between Beaty Ave and Wilson Park Rd on the south side

Westbury Hotel (also Courtyard Marriott)

1971 – Looking north from Yonge St and Carlton St, Westbury Hotel on the right once at 475 Yonge St - now the Courtyard Marriott
1971 – Looking north from Yonge St and Carlton St, Westbury Hotel on the right once at 475 Yonge St – now the Courtyard Marriott (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, Item 107)
1975 - Westbury Hotel once at 475 Yonge St, between Wood St and Alexander St - now the Courtyard Marriott
1975 – Westbury Hotel once at 475 Yonge St, between Wood St and Alexander St – now the Courtyard Marriott (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 100, Item 45)
1975 – Looking south from Yonge St and Breadalbane St, Westbury Hotel once at 475 Yonge St, between Wood St and Alexander St - now the Courtyard Marriott
1975 – Looking south from Yonge St and Breadalbane St, Westbury Hotel once at 475 Yonge St, between Wood St and Alexander St – now the Courtyard Marriott (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 100, Item 43)

Westover Hotel (also Wilton Court Private Hotel, Filmores Hotel)

1972 – Looking northeast, Westover Hotel once at 212 Dundas St E at George St - previously Wilton Court Private Hotel and now Filmores Hotel
1972 – Looking northeast, Westover Hotel once at 212 Dundas St E at George St – previously Wilton Court Private Hotel and now Filmores Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 27, Item 21)

White Hotel (also Union Hotel)

Between 1935 and 37 - White Hotel, later Union Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side - building no longer exists
Between 1935 and 37 – White Hotel, later Union Hotel once at 71, 73 Queen St W, between York St and Bay St on the south side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 1145)

Wilton Court Private Hotel (also Westover Hotel, Filmores Hotel)

1923 - Wilton Court Private Hotel once at 212 Dundas St E at George St – later the Westover Hotel and now Filmores Hotel
1923 – Wilton Court Private Hotel once at 212 Dundas St E at George St – later the Westover Hotel and now Filmores Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Series 71, Item 2538)

Winchester Hotel (also Lakeview Hotel)

1972 - Winchester Hotel, previously the Lakeview Hotel once at 531-537 Parliament St at Winchester St, southeast corner
1972 – Winchester Hotel, previously the Lakeview Hotel once at 531-537 Parliament St at Winchester St, southeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 31, Item 17)
1954 - Winchester Hotel, previously the Lakeview Hotel once at 531-537 Parliament St, at Winchester St, southeast corner
1954 – Winchester Hotel, previously the Lakeview Hotel once at 531-537 Parliament St, at Winchester St, southeast corner (Toronto Public Library r-5790)

Windsor Arms Hotel

2021 - Windsor Arms Hotel at 18 St Thomas St, south of Bloor St W on the west side
2021 – Windsor Arms Hotel at 18 St Thomas St, south of Bloor St W on the west side
1994 - Windsor Arms Hotel at 18 St Thomas St, south of Bloor St W on the west side
1994 – Windsor Arms Hotel at 18 St Thomas St, south of Bloor St W on the west side (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 431, Item 41)

Windsor Hotel

1945 – Windsor Hotel once at 15 Vincent St in Mimico
1945 – Windsor Hotel once at 15 Vincent St in Mimico (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 543)