Toronto Hotels – Past & Present – H to L

Half Way House

1926 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966 this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village
1926 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966, this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 8411)
1953 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966 this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village
1953 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966, this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village (Toronto Public Library, R-6248)
1912 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966 this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village
1912 – The Half Way House was a hotel, an apartment and later a store once at Kingston Rd and Midland Ave on the northwest corner and, in 1966, this house was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village (Toronto Public Library, R-6555)
1967 – The Half Way House was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966
1967 – The Half Way House was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 11, Item 8415)

Hanlan’s Hotel

1885-95 - Hanlan's Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands - building no longer exists
1885-95 – Hanlan’s Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1478, Item 13)
1907- Hanlan’s Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands - building no longer exists
1907- Hanlan’s Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 163)
1907 - Hanlan's Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands - building no longer exists
1907 – Hanlan’s Hotel once at Hanlan’s Point on the Toronto Islands – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 164)
1899 – From a CNE programme showing the address of the Hanlan's Hotel and many more (CNE Heritage)
1899 – From a CNE programme showing the address of the Hanlan’s Hotel and many more (CNE Heritage) (CNE Heritage)

Heydon House

1927 - Heydon House once at St Clair St W and Old Weston Rd, northwest corner
1927 – Heydon House once at St Clair St W and Old Weston Rd, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1110)

Hilton Toronto

2021 - Hilton Toronto at 145 Richmond St W at University Ave, southeast corner
2021 – Hilton Toronto at 145 Richmond St W at University Ave, southeast corner

Hotel 89 (also Regency Towers Hotel)

2020 - Hotel 89 at 89 Avenue Rd, north of Bloor St W. The building was demolished in 2021
2020 – Hotel 89 at 89 Avenue Rd, north of Bloor St W. The building was demolished in 2021

Hotel Aberdeen Cafe (also Osgoode House, Variety Hotel)

1920s - Hotel Aberdeen Cafe, previously Osgoode House and later Variety Hotel once at 112-114 Queen St W at Chestnut St, northeast corner – building no longer exists and today, Chestnut St does not meet Queen St W
1920s – Hotel Aberdeen Cafe, previously Osgoode House and later Variety Hotel once at 112-114 Queen St W at Chestnut St, northeast corner – building no longer exists and today, Chestnut St does not meet Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2337)

Hotel Breadalbane

1945 – Hotel Breadalbane once at Yonge and Breadalbane Sts, northwest corner
1945 – Hotel Breadalbane once at Yonge and Breadalbane Sts, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 517)
1937 – Hotel Breadalbane once at Yonge and Breadalbane Sts, northwest corner
1937 – Hotel Breadalbane once at Yonge and Breadalbane Sts, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 58, Item 1435)

 Hotel Falconer (also Spadina Hotel)

1906-14 - Hotel Falconer once at 460 King St W at Spadina Ave, northwest corner - later the Spadina Hotel
1906-14 – Hotel Falconer once at 460 King St W at Spadina Ave, northwest corner – later the Spadina Hotel (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 282)

Hotel Ford

1971 - View looking north from the top of the east tower of City Hall, showing the Ford Hotel - building no longer exists
1971 – View looking north from the top of the east tower of City Hall, showing the Ford Hotel – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 552, Item 34)
1928 - Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1928 – Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 3, Item 735)
1974 - Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1974 – Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 51, Item 50)
1931/35 – Billboard advertisement for the Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1931/35 – Billboard advertisement for the Hotel Ford once at Bay St and Dundas St W, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, File, Item 57)

Hotel Gerrard

1919 - Hotel Gerrard once at Parliament St and Gerrard St E, southeast corner - building no longer exists
1919 – Hotel Gerrard once at Parliament St and Gerrard St E, southeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1134)
1949 - Hotel Gerrard once at Parliament St and Gerrard St E, southeast corner - building no longer exists
1949 – Hotel Gerrard once at Parliament St and Gerrard St E, southeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 33b, Item 99)

Hotel Lamb

1913 - Hotel Lamb once at Yonge and Adelaide Sts, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1913 – Hotel Lamb once at Yonge and Adelaide Sts, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2039)
2021/1913 – TD Bank at Yonge St and Adelaide St W, southwest corner - once Hotel Lamb
2021/1913 – TD Bank at Yonge St and Adelaide St W, southwest corner – once Hotel Lamb (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 2039)

Hotel Morrissey

1936 – Hotel Morrissey once at 817 Yonge St, south of Church St on the east side
1936 – Hotel Morrissey once at 817 Yonge St, south of Church St on the east side (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 4672)

Hotel Mossop (also Hotel Victoria)

1919 - Hotel Mossop once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St on the west side - now Hotel Victoria
1919 – Hotel Mossop once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St on the west side – now Hotel Victoria (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1552)
1927 - Hotel Mossop once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St on the west side - now Hotel Victoria
1927 – Hotel Mossop once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St on the west side – now Hotel Victoria (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7050)
Before 1927 - Hotel Mossop, one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - renamed Hotel Victoria in 1927
Before 1927 – Hotel Mossop, one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings once at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – renamed Hotel Victoria in 1927 (photo taken at Friar’s Music Museum)

Hotel Ocho

2020 - Hotel Ocho at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner
2020 – Hotel Ocho at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner
1972 – Hotel Ocho is now at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner – once was the Reliable Tobacco Co.
1972 – Hotel Ocho is now at 195 Spadina Ave at Phoebe St, southeast corner – once was the Reliable Tobacco Co. (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 47, Item 25)

Hotel Quigley

1945 - Hotel Quigley once at 2301 Danforth Ave just west of Morton Rd - building no longer exists
1945 – Hotel Quigley once at 2301 Danforth Ave just west of Morton Rd – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 534)

Hotel Sheldon

1945 - Hotel Sheldon was once located at 75 Victoria St, north of Lombard St on the east side. Built in 1907/08, the building was designed by architect Henry Simpson and was originally the Strand Hotel. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973
1945 – Hotel Sheldon was once located at 75 Victoria St, north of Lombard St on the east side. Built in 1907/08, the building was designed by architect Henry Simpson and was originally the Strand Hotel. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 538)

Hotel Simcoe

1945 - Hotel Simcoe once at 508 Eastern Ave and Morse St, northwest corner
1945 – Hotel Simcoe once at 508 Eastern Ave and Morse St, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 539)

Hotel Torontonian

1954 – Hotel Torontonian once at Yonge St and Alexander St, southeast corner - building no longer exists
1954 – Hotel Torontonian once at Yonge St and Alexander St, southeast corner – building no longer exists (Toronto Public Library, R-3623)

Hotel Victoria (also Hotel Mossop)

2020 - Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
2020 – Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
1977 - Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
1977 – Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 4, Item 34)
1954 – Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
1954 – Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings (City of Toronto Archives, Series 381, File 313, ID 12351-14)
2021 - Hotel Victoria originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
2021 – Hotel Victoria, originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
2021 - Hotel Victoria a heritage property originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side - one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings
2021 – Hotel Victoria, a heritage property originally Hotel Mossop at 56 Yonge St, north of Wellington St W on the west side – one of Toronto’s first fireproof buildings

Hotel Waverley

1972 - Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side - building no longer exists
1972 – Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 55, Item 34)
1950 - Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side - building no longer exists
1950 – Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side – building no longer exists (photo of a photo taken at City of Toronto Archives)
1985/94 - Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side - building no longer exists
1985/94 – Hotel Waverley once at 484 Spadina Ave, north of College St on the west side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 520, Item 22)

Hotel Widmer

1945 - Hotel Widmer once at Bay St and Adelaide St W, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1945 – Hotel Widmer once at Bay St and Adelaide St W, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 234)

Imperial Hotel

1902 - Imperial Hotel once at 52 Jarvis St, building no longer exists
1902 – Imperial Hotel once at 52 Jarvis St, building no longer exists (Toronto Public Library, r-531)

Imperial Hotel

1945 - Imperial Hotel once at 54-58 Dundas St E at Victoria Ln - now the Imperial Pub
1945 – Imperial Hotel once at 54-58 Dundas St E at Victoria Ln – now the Imperial Pub (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 525)

Imperial Hotel

1919 - Imperial Hotel once at King St W and York St, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1919 – Imperial Hotel once at King St W and York St, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 7153)
1908 - Imperial Hotel once at King St W and York St, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1908 – Imperial Hotel once at King St W and York St, northeast corner – building no longer exists (Toronto Public Library B 13-21)

Iroquois Hotel (also Metropole Hotel)

1919 - Iroquois Hotel later became Metropole Hotel once at King St W and York St, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1919 – Iroquois Hotel later became Metropole Hotel once at King St W and York St, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1130)
1908 - Iroquois Hotel later became Metropole Hotel once at King St W and York St, southwest corner - building no longer exists
1908 – Iroquois Hotel later became Metropole Hotel once at King St W and York St, southwest corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1092)

Isabella Hotel

2020 - Isabella Hotel & Suites at 556 Sherbourne St, at Isabella St
2020 – Isabella Hotel & Suites at 556 Sherbourne St, at Isabella St
1945 - Isabella Hotel & Suites at 556 Sherbourne St at Isabella St, northwest corner
1945 – Isabella Hotel & Suites at 556 Sherbourne St at Isabella St, northwest corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 526)

Jolly Miller Hotel

1945 - Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner - now the Miller Tavern
1945 – Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner – now the Miller Tavern (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 527)
1936 - Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner - now the Miller Tavern
1936 – Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner – now the Miller Tavern (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 137)
1967 - Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner - now the Miller Tavern
1967 – Jolly Miller Hotel once at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner – now the Miller Tavern (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 217, Series 249, File 87 Item 1)
2021 – Miller Tavern at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner - once the Jolly Miller Hotel
2021 – Miller Tavern at 3885 Yonge St and Mill St, northeast corner – once the Jolly Miller Hotel

Lakeview Hotel (also Winchester Hotel)

1891 - Lakeview Hotel and later Winchester Hotel once at 537 Parliament St at Winchester St, southeast corner
1891 – Lakeview Hotel and later Winchester Hotel once at 537 Parliament St at Winchester St, southeast corner (Photo from Toronto: Old and New 1891 by Adam G Mercer)
2021 – Doorway and the Lake View Hotel mosaic tile apron at 537 Parliament St discovered during restorations (on Parliament St side)
2021 – Doorway and the Lake View Hotel mosaic tile apron at 537 Parliament St discovered during restorations (on Parliament St side)

Lennox Hotel

1930 - Lennox Hotel once at 831 Yonge St, south from present Church St and Davenport Rd on the east side - building no longer exists
1930 – Lennox Hotel once at 831 Yonge St, south from present Church St and Davenport Rd on the east side – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1109)

Lord Simcoe Hotel

1956 - Construction of the Lord Simcoe Hotel at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1956 – Construction of the Lord Simcoe Hotel at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner – building no longer exists (Toronto Public Library DC-2001-2-372)
1972 - Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1972 – Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 57, Item 8)
1980 - Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner - building no longer exists
1980 – Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner – building no longer exists (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 50, Item 31)
1980 – The demolition of the Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner
1980 – The demolition of the Lord Simcoe Hotel once at 150 King St W and University Ave, northeast corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 50, Item 38)