Built-in 1897/99, architects Gordon & Helliwell designed the Presbyterian church in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style. It was constructed with Credit Valley stone at the cost of $12,000, and the land was valued at $13,000.
In 1906/07, a large extension was added on the west side of the original church. The architecture firm of Symons & Rae designed the present-day structure, and it became home to Avenue Road Presbyterian Church. Built with Kingston limestone, the total cost of the new building was $50,000. There is a sketch of the original church below, before the addition.
In the years to come, the church later became Avenue Road United Church, then the Church of the Nazarene. In 1944, a three-alarm fire swept through the church, which was later restored.
In 1975/76, the Hare Krishna organization took the church building over as its temple.
The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1974 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1977.