Once George’s Spaghetti House in 1972 & 2024

Posted:

Looking northwest towards the corner of Dundas St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Garden District.

The archive photo shows when the building at the corner was home to George’s Spaghetti House. Doug Cole, the founder of Toronto’s jazz movement, opened the live jazz club in 1956. In 1983, Mr Cole sold George’s Spaghetti House, and a year later, the new owner moved the jazz club up to the second floor.

The building was later home to True Love Cafe from 2004 but has since closed. In 2021, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Garden District Heritage Conservation District.

Then and Now

1972/February 2024 – Looking northwest at Dundas St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Garden District. The archive photo shows when the building at the corner was home to George’s Spaghetti House. Doug Cole, the founder of Toronto’s jazz movement, opened the live jazz club in 1956. In 1983, Mr Cole sold George’s Spaghetti House, and a year later, the new owner moved the jazz club up to the second floor. The building was later home to True Love Cafe from 2004 but has since closed. In 2021, the building was listed on the city’s heritage register as part of the Garden District Heritage Conservation District
1972/February 2024 – Looking northwest at Dundas St E and Sherbourne St in Toronto’s Garden District (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 50, Item 8)
SOURCE

Stay Connected

24,077FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow