March 28, 1942/April 2023 – The archive photo shows an Imperial “visible” gas pump in front of 783 Dundas St W in Toronto’s Trinity-Bellwoods neighbourhood.
Gas would be hand-pumped from an underground storage tank to the glass cylinder at the top of this old-fashioned pump. The gas (up to 10 gallons) was visible to the customer before being dispensed into the vehicle’s tank. The pumps also featured a light on top and advertising the brand of fuel. In the background of the vintage photo is the Centre Theatre, once located at the northwest corner of Dundas St W and Markham St.
The present-day photo shows an EV charging station on Lakeshore Rd E in Oakville. There is an 81-year difference between the two images.
Then and Now
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives