Factory Theatre is located at 125 Bathurst St (at Adelaide St W on the northeast corner) in the Fashion District of Toronto.
The Building’s History
A combination of two buildings, the Queen Anne Gothic-style house fronting Bathurst St was built in 1869. It’s known as the John Mulvey House and is today home to the theatre’s administration offices, greenrooms and lounge.
The extension facing Adelaide St W that houses the theatres was built in 1909/10. Designed by architect James M Cowan, the building was originally constructed for St Mary’s Parish as their literary and athletic club.
In 1983, along with receiving heritage status from the city, the buildings became home to Factory Theatre. In 1999, Factory purchased the historic building and began restorations. The space was adapted for theatre use; however, it still has many original elements, including the maple bowling alley floor in the Studio Theatre as well as the proscenium arch and balcony in the Main Space Theatre.
Factory Theatre Company
In 1970, Ken Gass and Frank Trotz founded the Factory Theatre Lab. It was the first theatre company in Canada to produce all-Canadian plays. After operating from various venues in Toronto, they moved to their present-day location at Bathurst St and Adelaide St W and were renamed Factory Theatre.
For over 50 years, the Factory Theatre, also known as the “Home of the Canadian Playwright,” has produced more than 300 plays in mainstage productions and an additional 600 in workshops and other formats.