Euclid Avenue Methodist Church, later Queen Street United Church, was once located at 761 to 769 Queen St W (a block and a half west of Bathurst St on the south side opposite Euclid Ave) in Toronto’s West Queen West neighbourhood.
Built in 1904/05, architect George Martell Miller designed the red brick church. It was constructed on the same site as the church’s previous structure, which was built in 1864. The first service in the new church was held in November 1905.
In October 1904, the cornerstone was laid for Euclid Avenue Methodist Church. In an iron box, church papers and coins, which were under the 1864 cornerstone along with the history of the church, were placed underneath the 1904 cornerstone. Both cornerstones are on the left front of the building.
Today, retail shops, which include Anthropologie, occupy the former church.
Euclid Avenue Methodist Church Photos
The Globe Newspaper Archives: Oct 24, 1904, pg 12
The Globe Newspaper Archives: Nov 11, 1905, pg 5
Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 395-397