The Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church, originally St Mark’s Church, is located at 201 Cowan Ave (south of Queen St W on the east side) in Toronto’s Little Tibet/Parkdale neighbourhood.
Built in 1880/81, the church was designed in the Gothic Revival style. Its cornerstone was laid in October 1880. The structure features polychrome brickwork, stained glass, buttressed sidewalls and an octagonal belfry with a spire topped by an ornamental Maltese cross. The total value of the property was upwards of $8,000. The church, which had a seating capacity for 400 parishioners, held its first service in January 1881.
While some sources give credit to architects Langley, Langley & Burke, two newspaper articles of the day credit Almond Edwin Paull & Son for St Mark’s Church design.
In 1984, the Church of the Epiphany (once at 1515 Queen St W) joined St Mark’s congregation and was renamed The Church of the Epiphany and St Mark.
The church received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1976 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 1984.
Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 201 Cowan Ave
- Ontario Heritage Trust: 201 Cowan Ave
- Heritage Toronto (plaque)
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Oct 12, 1880, pg 10
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Jan 12, 1881, pg 6
- Landmarks of Toronto: Volume 4 by J Ross Robertson (1904), pgs 94-96
- Epiphany & St Mark Anglican Church
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives & Toronto Public Library
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1899 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library