Coronet Theatre, originally Biltmore Savoy, was once located at 399 Yonge St (at Gerrard St E on the northeast corner) in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.
In February 1951, the theatre opened as the Savoy and was a part of the Biltmore chain. It had 700+ seats and was known for playing double features. Opening night, the films included “Mr Universe” starring Robert Alda and “Tough Assignment” starring Don Barry.
The Odeon chain leased the theatre, and on January 1, 1964, the theatre played its first movie under its new name, the Coronet. It was a second-run movie house.
In 1978, Odeon sold the theatre, and it changed hands several times over the next five years. For just $3.50, patrons could watch five movies. The Coronet closed in February 1983, and the building was converted into a jewellery exchange and commercial space.
Coronet & Biltmore Savoy Theatre Photos
The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Dec 31, 1963, pg 9
Toronto Star Newspaper Archives: Aug 6, 1983, pg F3
The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Jan 5, 1984, pg L3