Looking towards the northeast corner of Shuter St and Dalhousie St, in the Garden District of Toronto.
The archive photo shows the Cooper and Gillespie Houses. Edward Cooper, a merchant, built his homes at 68 and 70 Shuter St in 1850. Architect John Tully designed them in the Georgian Revival style. His family owned the houses for nearly seven decades. Malcolm Gillespie built his houses adjoining the west at 64 to 66 Shuter St in 1851. After he passed away in 1892, his widow added Romanesque Revival-style elements to the facades. The residences later became boarding houses, then in the 1970s, were extensively modified for commercial purposes.
In 2014, the houses were dismantled. Today the heritage façades of Edward Cooper’s houses were incorporated into the present-day condo.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives