Comique Theatre was once located at 279 Yonge St (just south of Dundas Sq on the east side) in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.
In the Toronto City Directory, under “Places of Amusement,” David Minier was listed as the theatre manager from 1909 until 1913. For the years 1914 and 1915, it’s listed as Comique Theatre. The movie palace was owned by Canada Moving Pictures Limited and was showing a profit of $300 per month.
Located next to the theatre at 283 Yonge St was the Vendome Hotel. In 1917/18, a new building was constructed on the Comique Theatre and Vendome Hotel site. Architect John Chorley Westervelt designed the new Art Deco style building for Child’s Restaurants and offices. It later became home to Friar’s Tavern, then Hard Rock Café. Today, Shoppers Drug Mart and a small Friar’s Music Museum area occupy the space.
Comique Theatre Photos
- The Globe Newspaper Archives: Jul 18, 1912, pg 2
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
- Vintage Map: Atlas of the City of Toronto 1912 by Chas E Goad from the Toronto Public Library
- Toronto City Directory 1909 & 1914 from the Toronto Public Library