The College Theatre was once located at 960 College St (at Dovercourt Rd on the northwest corner) in the Dufferin Grove neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1919, architect Charles Howard Crane designed the College Theatre for Jay and Jules Allen. It was one of a few theatres built in the city by the Allens, pioneers in the Canadian movie industry. Opening in early 1920, the theatre had a 1650-seating capacity.
Famous Players later operated the College Theatre until it closed in 1967. The building was subsequently sold, demolished and replaced with the present-day structure.
Other theatres in the city that were part of the Allen brothers’ chain include:
Allen, later the Tivoli once at Richmond St E and Victoria St
Allen’s Beach once at Queen St E and Waverley Rd
Allen’s Beaver once at Dundas St W, east of Pacific Ave
Allen’s Bloor, today’s Lee’s Palace at Bloor St W, east of Bathurst St