CNE & Exhibition Place – Part of Toronto’s History for Over 140 Years

1895 - Canada's Greatest Fair and Industrial Exhibition Toronto prize list program cover
1895 – Canada’s Greatest Fair and Industrial Exhibition Toronto prize list program cover (CNE Archives)

The forerunner to the Canadian National Exhibition was the Provincial Agricultural Exhibition of Upper Canada. The first Fair was held in 1846 on the grounds of the Government House, once located at King St W and Simcoe St. In its early years, the Fair travelled in rotation to Ontario cities, including Niagara, Toronto, Hamilton, London, Kingston, London and Ottawa, never intending to be permanently in one city.

From Provincial Exhibition to Canada’s Fair

Toronto’s turn to host the annual Provincial Agricultural Fair came around every four years. In 1878, City Councillors chose a 52-acre site just west of the Stanley Barracks as the new fairground in hopes that Toronto would be selected to host the Exhibition permanently. Several display buildings were constructed at the fairgrounds, including the beautiful Crystal Palace.

When Provincial Agricultural Fair officials decided to continue to rotate the Exhibition to other cities, the Industrial Exhibition Association of Toronto was established by City Council. The first Toronto Industrial Exhibition, today’s CNE, was held on September 5, 1879. Its purpose in the early years was to promote the growth of agriculture, industry and the arts. By the 1880s, “Canada’s Greatest Fair” was shifting away from agriculture and moving towards industry.

In 1904, newspapers began calling Toronto’s annual event, the Canadian National Exhibition. At the beginning of the 1900s, improvements were underway at Exhibition grounds, and a massive rebuilding program had begun. A few of the structures that were a part of that project included the Government Building, the Horticulture Building, the Railways Building and the Dufferin Gate.

The “Show Window of the Nation” fairgrounds covered 350 acres at the time, considered one of the world’s finest permanent exhibition facilities, stadiums and amusement parks.

The CNE’s History of Firsts

Nicknamed The Ex, it’s where people have been coming to see the newest consumer products and innovations. Some technologies first introduced to CNE visitors include:

1883 – commercial electric railway transportation
1888 – Edison’s phonograph
1890 – wireless telephone
1922 – radio
1939 – television
1940s & 1950s – plastics and synthetics
1992 – virtual reality

2022 – Looking east towards the Princes' Gates
2022 – Looking east towards the Princes’ Gates

Did You Know?

  • One hundred thousand people attended the first Toronto Industrial Exhibition, and admission was 25¢.
  • In 1879, the exhibition hosted the Caledonian Games and Bicycle Races.
  • The Crystal Palace, a cast iron and glass building, burned down in 1906. It was located where the Horticulture Building stands today.
  • During World War I, Exhibition grounds were used for military training and housing. It was called Exhibition Camp. The CNE still went ahead.
  • During World War II, the grounds were again used by the military; however, for the years from 1942 to 1946, The CNE was cancelled.
  • In 1954, Toronto’s own Marilyn Bell swam across Lake Ontario at 16 years old. The Canadian National Exhibition gave Marilyn a $10,000 prize.
  • The CNE was not open on Sundays until 1968.
  • Five thousand youths are employed each year.
  • On the CNE Midway, there are over 110 games and more than 60 rides.
  • More than 1,000 performers entertain guests, while there are 700 vendors and exhibitors.
  • Regarding the economic impact, The CNE generates over $128 million for Ontario annually.
  • Due to the pandemic, the historic Fair was cancelled in 2020 and 2021.

Marking the End of Summer

The 18-day fair begins in mid-August and ends on Labour Day. The CNE attracts more than 1.5 million visitors and takes place on 192 acres at Exhibition Place grounds. The Ex features rides and games on The Midway, the Air Show, The Farm, shopping, concerts, delicious food, exhibits, famous entertainers and much more.

Canadian National Exhibition Photos

1887 - An illustration of CNE grounds, looking northeast from the foot of Dufferin St and Lake Ontario. Notice the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand on the right
1887 – An illustration of CNE grounds, looking northeast from the foot of Dufferin St and Lake Ontario. Notice the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand on the right (CNE Archives)
1889 - Pointers for attending the Exhibition
1889 – Pointers for attending the Exhibition (CNE Archives)
Circa 1892 - Exhibition grounds
Circa 1892 – Exhibition grounds (CNE Archives)
1892 – 5¢ ticket to Children's Day at the Industrial Fair
1892 – 5¢ ticket to Children’s Day at the Industrial Fair (CNE Archives)
1895 - Canada's Greatest Fair and Industrial Exhibition Toronto prize list program cover
1895 – Canada’s Greatest Fair and Industrial Exhibition Toronto prize list program cover (CNE Archives)
1890s - The Crystal Palace was once located at Exhibition grounds, where the Horticulture Building stands today at 15 Saskatchewan Rd. Built in 1858, the Crystal Palace was designed by architects Sir Sandford Fleming and Sir Collingwood Schreiber. In 1878, the structure was dismantled and moved to Exhibition grounds, where it was enlarged and stood until 1906, when it was destroyed by fire
1890s – The Crystal Palace was once located at Exhibition grounds, where the Horticulture Building stands today at 15 Saskatchewan Rd. Built in 1858, the Crystal Palace was designed by architects Sir Sandford Fleming and Sir Collingwood Schreiber. In 1878, the structure was dismantled and moved to Exhibition grounds, where it was enlarged and stood until 1906, when it was destroyed by fire (CNE Archives)
1904 - Along the CNE Midway
1904 – Along the CNE Midway (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1568, Item 341)
Circa 1909 - The Transportation Building was once located on Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1909, the structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock to display cars, boats and aeroplanes. It later became the Business Equipment Building and the International Building. It was destroyed by fire in 1974
Circa 1909 – The Transportation Building was once located on Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1909, the structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock to display cars, boats and aeroplanes. It later became the Business Equipment Building and the International Building. It was destroyed by fire in 1974 (CNE Archives)
1970s - The International Building, originally the Transportation Building, was once located on Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The building was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock and featured skylights and large windows. The structure served many different roles, and in 1974, it was destroyed by fire
1970s – The International Building, originally the Transportation Building, was once located on Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. The building was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock and featured skylights and large windows. The structure served many different roles, and in 1974, it was destroyed by fire (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5681)
1907 - Farm machinery on display near the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand
1907 – Farm machinery on display near the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 271)
1907 – The caretaker's house for Exhibition Place was once located near the Dufferin Gate
1907 – The caretaker’s house for Exhibition Place was once located near the Dufferin Gate (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 2196)
1907 – Air Show at the Exhibition
1907 – Air Show at the Exhibition (CNE Archives)
1908 - The Manufacturers Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Better Living Centre stands today at 195 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1902, the Manufacturers Building was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building was destroyed by fire in 1961
1908 – The Manufacturers Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Better Living Centre stands today at 195 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1902, the Manufacturers Building was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building was destroyed by fire in 1961 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1587, Series 409, Item 43)
1910 – The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1987 and has since been restored. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space
1910 – The Railways Building, today known as the Music Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1987 and has since been restored. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space (Toronto Public Library PC135)
2020 – The Music Building, originally the Railways Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1987 and has since been restored. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space
2020 – The Music Building, originally the Railways Building, is located at 285 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure as a joint project for the Exhibition, Canadian Pacific Railway and Grand Trunk Railway. The three-octagon-topped building received heritage status from the city in 1973. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1987 and has since been restored. Today, it’s home to creative and commercial space
1910s - CNE visitors consult with a fortune teller
1910s – CNE visitors consult with a fortune teller (CNE Archives)
1912 - A baseball game at the Exhibition Place
1912 – A baseball game at the Exhibition Place (CNE Archives)
1914 - Calvary training at the CNE Camp during World War I
1914 – Calvary training at the CNE Camp during World War I (CNE Archives)
1920s - The Gooderham Fountain was once located at Exhibition Place, about 31 m or 100 ft northwest of where the Princess Margaret Fountain stands today. Installed in 1911, the Carrera marble fountain was a monument to William Gooderham of Gooderham & Worts. The Gooderham Fountain was torn down in 1958
1920s – The Gooderham Fountain was once located at Exhibition Place, about 31 m or 100 ft northwest of where the Princess Margaret Fountain stands today. Installed in 1911, the Carrera marble fountain was a monument to William Gooderham of Gooderham & Worts. The Gooderham Fountain was torn down in 1958 (CNE Archives)
1924 - The Graphic Art and Photography Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Queen Elizabeth Building stands today at 190 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1902 and originally the Art Gallery, the structure was designed by architect Edgar Beaumont Jarvis. The Classical Greek-style building was torn down in 1955
1924 – The Graphic Art and Photography Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Queen Elizabeth Building stands today at 190 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1902 and originally the Art Gallery, the structure was designed by architect Edgar Beaumont Jarvis. The Classical Greek-style building was torn down in 1955 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 2026)
1924 – The Government Building, today home to Medieval Times, is located at 10 Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure with the large central glazed dome to house government exhibits. It later became the Dominion Government Building, the British Empire Building, the Travel and Tourism Building, and the Careers, Arts, Crafts and Hobbies Building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1924 – The Government Building, today home to Medieval Times, is located at 10 Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure with the large central glazed dome to house government exhibits. It later became the Dominion Government Building, the British Empire Building, the Travel and Tourism Building, and the Careers, Arts, Crafts and Hobbies Building. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 3554)
2021 – Medieval Times, originally the Government Building, is located at 10 Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure to house government exhibits. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021 – Medieval Times, originally the Government Building, is located at 10 Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure to house government exhibits. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1925 – The Coliseum, today known as the Coca-Cola Coliseum, is located at 45 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1925 – The Coliseum, today known as the Coca-Cola Coliseum, is located at 45 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (CNE Archives)
Between 1978 and 1987 – The south facade of the Coliseum, today known as the Coca-Cola Coliseum at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
Between 1978 and 1987 – The south facade of the Coliseum, today known as the Coca-Cola Coliseum at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, Series 1465, File 363, Item 9)
2021 – Coca-Cola Coliseum, originally The Coliseum, is located at 45 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2021 – Coca-Cola Coliseum, originally The Coliseum, is located at 45 Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1921/22, architect George Frederick William Price designed the structure as a livestock arena. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1925 – Fort Rouillé Monument with Scadding Cabin in the background at Exhibition Place. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it
1925 – Fort Rouillé Monument with Scadding Cabin in the background at Exhibition Place. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 3779)
2022 – Fort Rouillé Monument at Exhibition Place. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it. The concrete walkway surrounding the monument today delineates the walls of the former Fort
2022 – Fort Rouillé Monument at Exhibition Place. Fort Rouillé was a French trading post located on this site from 1750/51 until 1759, when its garrison destroyed it. The concrete walkway surrounding the monument today delineates the walls of the former Fort
2020 – Fort Rouillé Monument is located on the south side of Exhibition Place, just east of the Scadding Cabin
2020 – Fort Rouillé Monument is located on the south side of Exhibition Place, just east of the Scadding Cabin
Between 1920 and 1926 - Billboard ad for the Canadian National Exhibition
Between 1920 and 1926 – Billboard ad for the Canadian National Exhibition (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1488, Series 1230, Item 2322)
1928 – The Ontario Government Building, today known as Liberty Grand, is located at 25 British Columbia Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1926, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the triangular-shaped Beaux-Arts structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Since 2002, it’s been home to Liberty Grand, a special events venue
1928 – The Ontario Government Building, today known as Liberty Grand, is located at 25 British Columbia Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1926, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the triangular-shaped Beaux-Arts structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Since 2002, it’s been home to Liberty Grand, a special events venue (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 14782)
2022 – Liberty Grand, originally the Ontario Government Building, is located at 25 British Columbia Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1926, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the triangular-shaped Beaux-Arts structure. Since 2002, it’s been home to Liberty Grand, a special events venue
2022 – Liberty Grand, originally the Ontario Government Building, is located at 25 British Columbia Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1926, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the triangular-shaped Beaux-Arts structure. Since 2002, it’s been home to Liberty Grand, a special events venue
1928 – The CNE Fire Hall, today known as Toronto Fire Station 346, is located at 90 Quebec Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the fire hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1928 – The CNE Fire Hall, today known as Toronto Fire Station 346, is located at 90 Quebec Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the fire hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 363)
2020 – Toronto Fire Station 346, originally the CNE Fire Hall, is located at 90 Quebec Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the fire hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
2020 – Toronto Fire Station 346, originally the CNE Fire Hall, is located at 90 Quebec Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1912, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the fire hall. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1926 - Taking a break at the Canadian National Exhibition
1926 – Taking a break at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE Archives)
1928 - Crowds on the CNE Midway with The Exhibition Flyer in the background
1928 – Crowds on the CNE Midway with The Exhibition Flyer in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 6195)
1928 - The Scadding Cabin is located at 3 Alberta Cr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1794 by John Scadding, the cabin was originally located on the east bank of the Don River. It was moved to Exhibition grounds in 1879 by the York Pioneer and Historical Society, who still own and operate the cabin. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
1928 – The Scadding Cabin is located at 3 Alberta Cr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1794 by John Scadding, the cabin was originally located on the east bank of the Don River. It was moved to Exhibition grounds in 1879 by the York Pioneer and Historical Society, who still own and operate the cabin. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 6099)
2022 – The Scadding Cabin is located at 3 Alberta Cr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1794, the Scadding Cabin is part of The Historic Mile, which includes the Fort Rouillé Monument (built in 1750/51 by the French as a trading post), the Stanley Barracks (built in 1841 and previously referred to as the New Fort) and Fort York (built in 1793)
2022 – The Scadding Cabin is located at 3 Alberta Cr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1794, the Scadding Cabin is part of The Historic Mile, which includes the Fort Rouillé Monument (built in 1750/51 by the French as a trading post), the Stanley Barracks (built in 1841 and previously referred to as the New Fort) and Fort York (built in 1793)
1928 - The Horticulture Building, today known as Grand Bizarre Supper Club, is located at 15 Saskatchewan Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the E-shaped Beaux-Arts structure to display flowers, fruits, plants and vegetables. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to entertainment and commercial space
1928 – The Horticulture Building, today known as Grand Bizarre Supper Club, is located at 15 Saskatchewan Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the E-shaped Beaux-Arts structure to display flowers, fruits, plants and vegetables. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to entertainment and commercial space (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 6098)
1965 – Looking northeast from Dufferin St and Saskatchewan Rd towards the Horticulture Building at Exhibition Place
1965 – Looking northeast from Dufferin St and Saskatchewan Rd towards the Horticulture Building at Exhibition Place (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 333, Item 4)
2021 - Grand Bizarre Supper Club, originally the Horticulture Building, is located at 15 Saskatchewan Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the E-shaped Beaux-Arts structure to display flowers, fruits, plants and vegetables. Today, it’s home to entertainment and commercial space
2021 – Grand Bizarre Supper Club, originally the Horticulture Building, is located at 15 Saskatchewan Rd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1907, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the E-shaped Beaux-Arts structure to display flowers, fruits, plants and vegetables. Today, it’s home to entertainment and commercial space
1929 – The Princes’ Gates are located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W at Exhibition Place. Built in 1927, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the iconic structure. They were initially named “The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates” however were renamed The Princes’ Gates when Edward, Prince of Wales and Prince George, Duke of Kent, both attended the official opening. The gates received heritage status from the city in 1973
1929 – The Princes’ Gates are located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W at Exhibition Place. Built in 1927, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the iconic structure. They were initially named “The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates” however were renamed The Princes’ Gates when Edward, Prince of Wales and Prince George, Duke of Kent, both attended the official opening. The gates received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 7108)
2021 – Looking southwest towards The Princes’ Gates located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W at Exhibition Place
2021 – Looking southwest towards The Princes’ Gates located at Strachan Ave and Lake Shore Blvd W at Exhibition Place
2020 - Looking west into Exhibition Place from The Princes' Gates arch
2020 – Looking west into Exhibition Place from The Princes’ Gates arch
2022 – Looking southeast towards CNE sign and The Princes’ Gates from inside Exhibition Place. The Ex reopened after a two-year pandemic hiatus
2022 – Looking southeast towards CNE sign and The Princes’ Gates from inside Exhibition Place. The Ex reopened after a two-year pandemic hiatus
1929 – The Automotive Building, today known as the Beanfield Centre, is located at 105 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1929, architect Douglas Edwin Kertland designed the Art Moderne pavilion next to The Princes’ Gates. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to the Beanfield Centre, a state-of-the-art conference centre
1929 – The Automotive Building, today known as the Beanfield Centre, is located at 105 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1929, architect Douglas Edwin Kertland designed the Art Moderne pavilion next to The Princes’ Gates. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today, it’s home to the Beanfield Centre, a state-of-the-art conference centre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 17571)
2021 – The Beanfield Centre, originally the Automotive Building, is located 105 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1929, architect Douglas Edwin Kertland designed the Art Moderne pavilion. Today, it’s home to the Beanfield Centre, a state-of-the-art conference centre. Notice Hotel X in the background
2021 – The Beanfield Centre, originally the Automotive Building, is located 105 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1929, architect Douglas Edwin Kertland designed the Art Moderne pavilion. Today, it’s home to the Beanfield Centre, a state-of-the-art conference centre. Notice Hotel X in the background
1929 - The Pure Food Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Food Building stands today at 10 Nova Scotia Ave. Built in 1920/22 and later the Food Products Building, the structure was designed by architect Bernard Herman Prack. The building was torn down in 1953
1929 – The Pure Food Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Food Building stands today at 10 Nova Scotia Ave. Built in 1920/22 and later the Food Products Building, the structure was designed by architect Bernard Herman Prack. The building was torn down in 1953 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1230, Item 3502)
1950s - The Food Building, which replaced the previous Pure Food Building, is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1954, the Modernist structure was designed by architect Richard A Fisher. The building received heritage status from the city in 1993
1950s – The Food Building, which replaced the previous Pure Food Building, is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place. Built in 1954, the Modernist structure was designed by architect Richard A Fisher. The building received heritage status from the city in 1993
2021 - The Food Building is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place
2021 – The Food Building is located at 10 Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place
1930 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. Dedicated in 1930 during a Shriner's convention, the bronze monument was designed by Charles Keck and commemorated nearly a century of peace between Canada and the United States. The monument received heritage status from the city in 1993. On the right is the former Transportation Building
1930 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. Dedicated in 1930 during a Shriner’s convention, the bronze monument was designed by Charles Keck and commemorated nearly a century of peace between Canada and the United States. The monument received heritage status from the city in 1993. On the right is the former Transportation Building
2022 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. In 1958 the surrounding fountain and gardens were added. On the left is the Bandshell
2022 – The Shrine Peace Memorial is located in the Rose Garden on the south side of Exhibition Place. In 1958 the surrounding fountain and gardens were added. On the left is the Bandshell
1930 - The start of the women's marathon swim at the CNE. On the right is the Ontario Government Building, today known as Liberty Grand
1930 – The start of the women’s marathon swim at the CNE. On the right is the Ontario Government Building, today known as Liberty Grand (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 1386)
1933 - The Dog and Cat Building was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today
1933 – The Dog and Cat Building was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1443)
1933 – Machinery Hall was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today. Built in 1914, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the hall to display the latest in electrical motors and machines. It later became the Stove Building, then the Scenery Studio and storage. The hall was torn down in the late 1950s
1933 – Machinery Hall was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today. Built in 1914, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the hall to display the latest in electrical motors and machines. It later became the Stove Building, then the Scenery Studio and storage. The hall was torn down in the late 1950s (City of Toronto Archives, Series 373, Sub Series 1 Item 1248)
1928 – The Aircraft Building, formerly Machinery Hall at Exhibition Place
1928 – The Aircraft Building, formerly Machinery Hall at Exhibition Place (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 14683)
1952 – The Scenery Studio and storage, originally Machinery Hall, was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today. Built in 1914, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the hall, which also served as the Stove Building
1952 – The Scenery Studio and storage, originally Machinery Hall, was once located on the north side of Exhibition Place, where the Gardiner Expressway stands today. Built in 1914, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the hall, which also served as the Stove Building (Toronto Public Library R-2664)
1935 - Weight guesser on the CNE Midway
1935 – Weight guesser on the CNE Midway (CNE Archives)
1936 - The CNE Midway near the Horse Palace and the Coliseum
1936 – The CNE Midway near the Horse Palace and the Coliseum (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 16, Series 71, Item 11532)
1937 - The CNE Midway and the Coliseum
1937 – The CNE Midway and the Coliseum (CNE Archives)
1937 – The Administration Building, later known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and today is once again the CNE Administration Building
1937 – The Administration Building, later known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, this was the first of several structures at the Canadian National Exhibition designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The Beaux-Arts style building was home to the CNE Association from 1905 until 1957. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and today is once again the CNE Administration Building (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1449)
2021 – The Press Building and also known as the Administrative Building, is located at Princes' Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place
2021 – The Press Building and also known as the Administrative Building, is located at Princes’ Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place
2022 – The Administration Building, previously known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, the highly-decorative Beaux-Arts style structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today it's once again the CNE Administration Building
2022 – The Administration Building, previously known as the Press Building, is located at 210 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1905, the highly-decorative Beaux-Arts style structure was designed by architect George Wallace Gouinlock. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973. Today it’s once again the CNE Administration Building
1937 – The Women's Building was once located where the southern portion of the Better Living Centre at Exhibition Place stands today. Built in 1911/12, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure. The Women's Building featured a large balcony and was attached to the Manufacturers Building. They were both destroyed by fire in 1961
1937 – The Women’s Building was once located where the southern portion of the Better Living Centre at Exhibition Place stands today. Built in 1911/12, architect George Wallace Gouinlock designed the structure. The Women’s Building featured a large balcony and was attached to the Manufacturers Building. They were both destroyed by fire in 1961 (CNE Archives)
Between 1940s and 1950s - Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to replace Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973
Between 1940s and 1950s – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort, a military post established to replace Fort York. The building was renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 in honour of Governor General Lord Frederick Stanley. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 742)
1965 – The Marine Museum of Upper Canada once occupied Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place. Built in 1841, the building was originally the Officers’ Quarters at the New Fort and later served as public housing, the Marine Museum, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and today is a part of Hotel X
1965 – The Marine Museum of Upper Canada once occupied Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place. Built in 1841, the building was originally the Officers’ Quarters at the New Fort and later served as public housing, the Marine Museum, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. The building received heritage status from the city in 1973 and today is a part of Hotel X (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 333, Item 1)
2021 - Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers' Quarters in what was known as the New Fort and later served as public housing, the Marine Museum, Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. Today, the heritage-designated Stanley Barracks and the Square and Gardens are part of Hotel X
2021 – Stanley Barracks is located at Exhibition Place in Toronto. Built in 1841, the limestone building was originally the Officers’ Quarters in what was known as the New Fort and later served as public housing, the Marine Museum, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, and the Hockey Hall of Fame. Today, the heritage-designated Stanley Barracks and the Square and Gardens are part of Hotel X
1950s – The Canadian International Air Show takes place at The Ex over Labour Day weekend
1950s – The Canadian International Air Show takes place at The Ex over Labour Day weekend (CNE Archives)
1950s - The Engineering and Electrical Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Enercare Centre stands today at 100 Princes' Blvd. Built in 1928 and made of poured concrete, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure to display the latest in anything that used electricity. The colonnade was lined with eight statues created by Charles McKechnie. The building later served other roles and was torn down in 1972. Four of the statues are on display in Heritage Court at the Enercare Centre
1950s – The Engineering and Electrical Building was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Enercare Centre stands today at 100 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1928 and made of poured concrete, architects Chapman & Oxley designed the structure to display the latest in anything that used electricity. The colonnade was lined with eight statues created by Charles McKechnie. The building later served other roles and was torn down in 1972. Four of the statues are on display in Heritage Court at the Enercare Centre (CNE Archives)
1960s - The General Exhibits Building, originally the Engineering and Electrical Building, was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Enercare Centre stands today at 100 Princes' Blvd. Built in 1928, the structure was designed by architects Chapman & Oxley. The building was torn down in 1972. Four of the colonnade statues created by Charles McKechnie survived and are on display in Heritage Court at the Enercare Centre
1960s – The General Exhibits Building, originally the Engineering and Electrical Building, was once located at Exhibition Place, where the Enercare Centre stands today at 100 Princes’ Blvd. Built in 1928, the structure was designed by architects Chapman & Oxley. The building was torn down in 1972. Four of the colonnade statues created by Charles McKechnie survived and are on display in Heritage Court at the Enercare Centre (CNE Archives)
1953 – The CNE during its 75th year. Notice the Flyer and Exhibition Grandstand in the background
1953 – The CNE during its 75th year. Notice the Flyer and Exhibition Grandstand in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 536, Item 98)
1954 - Crowds entering and exiting the CNE through the Princes' Gates
1954 – Crowds entering and exiting the CNE through the Princes’ Gates (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 1)
1950s - Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Marilyn Bell at The Ex
1950s – Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Marilyn Bell at The Ex (CNE Archives)
1955 - Looking south towards the Dufferin Gate on the 77th year of the CNE. In the background on the right is the Government Building, today home to Medieval Times
1955 – Looking south towards the Dufferin Gate on the 77th year of the CNE. In the background on the right is the Government Building, today home to Medieval Times (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 536, Item 392)
1953 – A map of the Canadian National Exhibition Grounds
1953 – A map of the Canadian National Exhibition Grounds (CNE Archives)
1955 – Parade in front of the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand during the CNE
1955 – Parade in front of the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand during the CNE (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 2389)
1957 - The Queen Elizabeth Building is located at 180-190 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1956/57, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Page & Steele. It was originally supposed to be the Women's Building; however, Buckingham Palace granted permission to name the building in honour of Queen Elizabeth II. The building featured women's programming, including fashion shows and cooking demonstrations. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993
1957 – The Queen Elizabeth Building is located at 180-190 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1956/57, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Page & Steele. It was originally supposed to be the Women’s Building; however, Buckingham Palace granted permission to name the building in honour of Queen Elizabeth II. The building featured women’s programming, including fashion shows and cooking demonstrations. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 1575a)
2021 - The Queen Elizabeth Building is located at 180-190 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1956/57, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Page & Steele. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today it's home to a large exhibit hall, Withrow Common, a 1,300-seat theatre and a multi-purpose event centre called FontainBlu
2021 – The Queen Elizabeth Building is located at 180-190 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1956/57, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Page & Steele. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today it’s home to a large exhibit hall, Withrow Common, a 1,300-seat theatre and a multi-purpose event centre called FontainBlu
Circa 1961 - George Diefenbaker (at mic) and George Armstrong (standing by the flagpole) in front of the Hockey Hall of Fame when it was located at Exhibition grounds
Circa 1961 – George Diefenbaker (at mic) and George Armstrong (standing by the flagpole) in front of the Hockey Hall of Fame when it was located at Exhibition grounds (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5688)
1959 – Air Force Pilots at the Canadian International Air Show, in front of the Princess Margaret Fountain. Notice the Queen Elizabeth Building and Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand in the background
1959 – Air Force Pilots at the Canadian International Air Show, in front of the Princess Margaret Fountain. Notice the Queen Elizabeth Building and Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand in the background (CNE Archives)
2010s – CF Snowbirds at the Canadian International Air Show
2010s – CF Snowbirds at the Canadian International Air Show (The Ex)
1960s - Shell Oil Tower, later Bulova Tower, was once located at Exhibition Place, near where Princes’ Blvd and Nova Scotia Dr intersect today. Built in 1955 by the Shell Oil Company, the glass and steel observation tower was designed by architect George Robb. An elevator or stairs could be taken to the observation deck for a great view of the CNE. The landmark was topped with a giant clock. The tower was torn down in 1985
1960s – Shell Oil Tower, later Bulova Tower, was once located at Exhibition Place, near where Princes’ Blvd and Nova Scotia Dr intersect today. Built in 1955 by the Shell Oil Company, the glass and steel observation tower was designed by architect George Robb. An elevator or stairs could be taken to the observation deck for a great view of the CNE. The landmark was topped with a giant clock. The tower was torn down in 1985 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 150, Item 13)
1960s - Water skiing stunt show at the Canadian National Exhibition. Notice the Better Living Centre in the background
1960s – Water skiing stunt show at the Canadian National Exhibition. Notice the Better Living Centre in the background (CNE Archives)
1960s - Listening to a transistor radio on the balcony of the Administration Building at the Canadian National Exhibition. Notice in the background, the Princess Margaret Fountain and the Better Living Centre. The pocket transistor radio came out in 1954
1960s – Listening to a transistor radio on the balcony of the Administration Building at the Canadian National Exhibition. Notice in the background, the Princess Margaret Fountain and the Better Living Centre. The pocket transistor radio came out in 1954 (CNE Archives)
Circa 1960 – The Princess Margaret Fountain is located at Princes' Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. In 1958, Princess Margaret herself opened the fountain in her name. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background, from left to right is the Queen Elizabeth Building, Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and the Manufacturers Building
Circa 1960 – The Princess Margaret Fountain is located at Princes’ Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. In 1958, Princess Margaret herself opened the fountain in her name. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background, from left to right is the Queen Elizabeth Building, Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and the Manufacturers Building (CNE Archives)
2021 – The Princess Margaret Fountain is located at Princes' Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. The fountain was opened by Princess Margaret herself in 1958. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background is Carillon Tower and the Horticulture Building, today's Grand Bizarre
2021 – The Princess Margaret Fountain is located at Princes’ Blvd and Manitoba Dr at Exhibition Place. The fountain was opened by Princess Margaret herself in 1958. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background is Carillon Tower and the Horticulture Building, today’s Grand Bizarre
1960 - The Dufferin Gate is located near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1959, the parabolic arch was designed by architect Arthur G Keith. The Mid-Century Modern style structure is made with slender steel encased in concrete. The arch received heritage status from the city in 1993
1960 – The Dufferin Gate is located near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1959, the parabolic arch was designed by architect Arthur G Keith. The Mid-Century Modern style structure is made with slender steel encased in concrete. The arch received heritage status from the city in 1993 (CNE Archives)
2020 - The Dufferin Gate is located near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1959, the parabolic arch was designed by architect Arthur G Keith. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background on the right is the Government Building, today home to Medieval Times
2020 – The Dufferin Gate is located near the foot of Dufferin St at Exhibition Place. Built in 1959, the parabolic arch was designed by architect Arthur G Keith. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1993. In the background on the right is the Government Building, today home to Medieval Times
1961 – Looking northwest from the Shrine Peace Memorial in the Rose Garden at Exhibition Place. In the background, from left to right is the former Transportation Building, the Bandshell Cafe (today's Acqua Dolce), the Bandshell and the Government Building (today's Medieval Times)
1961 – Looking northwest from the Shrine Peace Memorial in the Rose Garden at Exhibition Place. In the background, from left to right is the former Transportation Building, the Bandshell Cafe (today’s Acqua Dolce), the Bandshell and the Government Building (today’s Medieval Times) (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 536, Item 748)
2022 - Looking northwest from the Shrine Peace Memorial in the Rose Garden at Exhibition Place. In the background, from left to right is Acqua Dolce (originally the Bandshell Cafe), the Bandshell and Carillon Tower
2022 – Looking northwest from the Shrine Peace Memorial in the Rose Garden at Exhibition Place. In the background, from left to right is Acqua Dolce (originally the Bandshell Cafe), the Bandshell and Carillon Tower (originally Carlsberg Carillion)
1962 – Shirley Blatchford and Margaret Hintenseer wave to their spouses after successfully crossing Lake Ontario in an amphibious automobile from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the CNE waterfront. In the background are the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and the Shell Oil Tower
1962 – Shirley Blatchford and Margaret Hintenseer wave to their spouses after successfully crossing Lake Ontario in an amphibious automobile from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the CNE waterfront. In the background are the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and the Shell Oil Tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5790)
1962 – Shirley Blatchford and Margaret Hintenseer emerging from Lake Ontario in an Amphicar after successfully crossing from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the CNE grounds
1962 – Shirley Blatchford and Margaret Hintenseer emerging from Lake Ontario in an Amphicar after successfully crossing from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the CNE grounds (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5793)
1962 – The Amphicar in front of the Princess Margaret Fountain with the Better Living Centre in the background, at Exhibition Place
1962 – The Amphicar in front of the Princess Margaret Fountain with the Better Living Centre in the background, at Exhibition Place (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5784)
1963 – Sitting on the lawn in front of the Bandshell and the former Canadian National Exhibition flagpole. Raised in 1930, the British Columbia Fir flagpole stood 56 m or 184 ft tall and was cut from a tree 237 years old. It was replaced by a new flagpole in 1977 but was taken down in the late 2000s
1963 – Sitting on the lawn in front of the Bandshell and the former Canadian National Exhibition flagpole. Raised in 1930, the British Columbia Fir flagpole stood 56 m or 184 ft tall and was cut from a tree 237 years old. It was replaced by a new flagpole in 1977 but was taken down in the late 2000s (CNE Archives)
1965 – The Better Living Centre is located at 195 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1962, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Marani, Morris & Allan to exhibit the latest in consumer goods. It replaced the Manufacturers Building, which was destroyed by fire in 1961. The Better Living Centre received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today the venue hosts consumer shows and events year-round. Notice the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand on the left
1965 – The Better Living Centre is located at 195 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 1962, the Modernist structure was designed by the architectural firm Marani, Morris & Allan to exhibit the latest in consumer goods. It replaced the Manufacturers Building, which was destroyed by fire in 1961. The Better Living Centre received heritage status from the city in 1993. Today the venue hosts consumer shows and events year-round. Notice the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand on the left (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 333, Item 3)
2021 – The Better Living Centre where the Manufacturers Building once stood at Exhibition Place. On the right is the Princess Margaret Fountain, built in 19582021 – Looking southeast from the Princess Margaret Fountain at Princes' Blvd and Manitoba Dr towards the Better Living Centre at Exhibition Place. Notice the multicoloured plexiglass pylon on top of the Better Living Centre. It was designed to resemble the work of Dutch artist Piet Mondrain
2021 – Looking southeast from the Princess Margaret Fountain at Princes’ Blvd and Manitoba Dr towards the Better Living Centre at Exhibition Place. Notice the multicoloured plexiglass pylon on top of the Better Living Centre. It was designed to resemble the work of Dutch artist Piet Mondrain
1965 - The 3rd York Militia from Fort York firing a cannon to begin the CNE's first marathon car rally near the Shell Oil Tower
1965 – The 3rd York Militia from Fort York firing a cannon to begin the CNE’s first marathon car rally near the Shell Oil Tower (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 5799)
1966 – Crowds watching a CNE fashion show. The model on the runway is wearing a funky purple mini-skirt, pink mock neck top, boots, a long beaded necklace and tiny sunglasses
1966 – Crowds watching a CNE fashion show. The model on the runway is wearing a funky purple mini-skirt, pink mock neck top, boots, a long beaded necklace and tiny sunglasses (CNE Archives)
1968 - The Alpine Way, Wild Mouse and other rides on the CNE Midwa
1968 – The Alpine Way, Wild Mouse and other rides on the CNE Midway (CNE Archives)
Between 1960s and 1970s – Looking south from the Shell Oil Tower, once located near where Princes’ Blvd and Nova Scotia Dr intersect today, at Exhibition Place. Notice Stanley Barracks, Ned Hanlan tugboat (now located at Hanlan’s Point on Toronto Island), HMCS Haida and Lake Ontario
Between 1960s and 1970s – Looking south from the Shell Oil Tower, once located near where Princes’ Blvd and Nova Scotia Dr intersect today, at Exhibition Place. Notice Stanley Barracks, Ned Hanlan tugboat (now located at Hanlan’s Point on Toronto Island), HMCS Haida and Lake Ontario (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 18)
1969 - Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau arrives at the CNE by horse and buggy. In the background is the Queen Elizabeth Building located at 180-190 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place
1969 – Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau arrives at the CNE by horse and buggy. In the background is the Queen Elizabeth Building located at 180-190 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place (CNE Archives)
1970s - Crowds watching Jay Cochrane, a tightrope walker high above the Hockey Hall of Fame/Canada's Sports Hall of Fame at the CNE. Notice the Alpine Way in the background
1970s – Crowds watching Jay Cochrane, a tightrope walker high above the Hockey Hall of Fame/Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame at the CNE. Notice the Alpine Way in the background (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 105)
Between 1967 and 1971 - The Hockey Hall of Fame/Canada's Sports Hall of Fame was once located directly across from the main entrance of the Food Building on Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place. The building faced south towards the former Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand, where the north portion of BMO Field stands today. The Hockey Hall of Fame was built in 1960/61. The entrance of the Modernist structure featured a folded-plate concrete canopy supported by four granite columns. In 1967, an addition was constructed on the east side to include Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame. The building was torn down in 2006 to make way for the soccer stadium; however, pieces of the Halls of Fame were preserved. They’re located at Gate 5 of BMO Field and include the entrance and the “Face-Off” mural by Canadian artist, Ron Satok
Between 1967 and 1971 – The Hockey Hall of Fame/Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame was once located directly across from the main entrance of the Food Building on Nova Scotia Ave at Exhibition Place. The building faced south towards the former Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand, where the north portion of BMO Field stands today. The Hockey Hall of Fame was built in 1960/61. The entrance of the Modernist structure featured a folded-plate concrete canopy supported by four granite columns. In 1967, an addition was constructed on the east side to include Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame. The building was torn down in 2006 to make way for the soccer stadium; however, pieces of the Halls of Fame were preserved. They’re located at Gate 5 of BMO Field and include the entrance and the “Face-Off” mural by Canadian artist, Ron Satok (Courtesy of the Canadian National Exhibition Association Archives)
1972 - The Ned Hanlan tugboat was located to the west of the Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place. In the background are Shell Oil Tower, the Alpine Way, the CNE Midway and the Coliseum. The Ned Hanlan tugboat has since been moved to Hanlan's Point on Toronto Island
1972 – The Ned Hanlan tugboat was located to the west of the Stanley Barracks at Exhibition Place. In the background are Shell Oil Tower, the Alpine Way, the CNE Midway and the Coliseum. The Ned Hanlan tugboat has since been moved to Hanlan’s Point on Toronto Island (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 111, Item 19)
1972 - An aerial view looking northeast towards Exhibition Place and the CNE Midway
1972 – An aerial view looking northeast towards Exhibition Place and the CNE Midway (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 21)
1974 - Provincial flags display at Exhibition Place
1974 – Provincial flags display at Exhibition Place (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 95, Item 20)
1974 - Crowd walking past the Horticulture Building during the CNE
1974 – Crowd walking past the Horticulture Building during the CNE (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 95, Item 19)
Between 1978 and 1987 - CNE postcard with the Water Skiing Stunt Show, The Princes' Gates, the Princess Margaret Fountain and the CHUM Wild Cat Ride
Between 1978 and 1987 – CNE postcard with the Water Skiing Stunt Show, The Princes’ Gates, the Princess Margaret Fountain and the CHUM Wild Cat Ride (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 362, Item 2)
Between 1978 and 1987 - Canadian National Exhibition postcard with day and night scenes of the CNE Midway along with The Princes' Gates
Between 1978 and 1987 – Canadian National Exhibition postcard with day and night scenes of the CNE Midway along with The Princes’ Gates (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 362, Item 3)
Between 1978 and 1987 - Crowds in the stands watching a Water Skiing Stunt Show at the CNE. Across the channel is Ontario Place
Between 1978 and 1987 – Crowds in the stands watching a Water Skiing Stunt Show at the CNE. Across the channel is Ontario Place (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 363, Item 1)
Between 1976 and 1987 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. Its construction was a joint agreement between the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and the Dominion of Canada to provide better horse accommodations. The equestrian facility has stables and a large ring and could initially accommodate 1,200 horses. Throughout the building are carvings and sculptural reliefs of horses. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979
Between 1976 and 1987 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. Its construction was a joint agreement between the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and the Dominion of Canada to provide better horse accommodations. The equestrian facility has stables and a large ring and could initially accommodate 1,200 horses. Throughout the building are carvings and sculptural reliefs of horses. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 365, Item 8)
2021 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979. The facility is used annually for the CNE and the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. The Horse Palace is also home to Toronto Police Service - Mounted Unit along with riding schools
2021 – The Horse Palace is located at 15 Nova Scotia Dr at Exhibition Place. Built in 1931, architect John James Woolnough designed the Art Deco style structure. The building received heritage status from the city in 1979. The facility is used annually for the CNE and the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. The Horse Palace is also home to Toronto Police Service – Mounted Unit along with riding schools
1980s - Wayne Gretzky receiving the Lou Marsh Award in front of the former Hockey Hall of Fame at Exhibition Place. Gretzky received the award in 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1989
1980s – Wayne Gretzky receiving the Lou Marsh Award in front of the former Hockey Hall of Fame at Exhibition Place. Gretzky received the award in 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1989 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 626, Item 10)
1980s - Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand was once located at Exhibition Place, near where BMO Field stands today. Built in 1948, the semi-bowl stadium was designed by architects Marani & Morris and was the first postwar Modernist building constructed at Exhibition Place. The stadium was torn down in 1999
1980s – Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand was once located at Exhibition Place, near where BMO Field stands today. Built in 1948, the semi-bowl stadium was designed by architects Marani & Morris and was the first postwar Modernist building constructed at Exhibition Place. The stadium was torn down in 1999 (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 363, Item 12)
1980s - Carlsberg Carillon, today's Carillon Tower, is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. The tower stands 26 m tall and contains 50 bells tuned so that when they ring, they have a harmonious relationship with each other
1980s – Carlsberg Carillon, today’s Carillon Tower, is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place in Toronto. The tower stands 26 m tall and contains 50 bells tuned so that when they ring, they have a harmonious relationship with each other (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 94, Item 131)
2022 - Carillon Tower, originally the Carlsberg Carillon, is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place. The percussion instrument was presented to the Canadian National Exhibition in 1974 by Carling-O’Keefe Breweries
2022 – Carillon Tower, originally the Carlsberg Carillon, is located in Bandshell Park at Exhibition Place. The percussion instrument was presented to the Canadian National Exhibition in 1974 by Carling-O’Keefe Breweries
1981 - An aerial view looking east towards the CNE, The Princes' Gates, the former Molson's Brewery building and Lake Shore Blvd W
1981 – An aerial view looking east towards the CNE, The Princes’ Gates, the former Molson’s Brewery building and Lake Shore Blvd W (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 95, Item 86)
1946 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The north-facing Bandshell has eight semi-circular louvres arranged to achieve ideal acoustics. Its stage can accommodate a 100-piece band and is 19 m or 63 ft wide and 11.5 m or 38 ft deep. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and underwent a restoration in 1983
1946 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The north-facing Bandshell has eight semi-circular louvres arranged to achieve ideal acoustics. Its stage can accommodate a 100-piece band and is 19 m or 63 ft wide and 11.5 m or 38 ft deep. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and underwent a restoration in 1983 (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 2367)
1983 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. Along with military and big bands, celebrities, musical acts, talent shows, extravaganzas, band battles, body-building competitions and other performances, the Bandshell stage also hosted the CNE opening ceremonies, which have since moved to The Princes' Gates
1983 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. Along with military and big bands, celebrities, musical acts, talent shows, extravaganzas, band battles, body-building competitions and other performances, the Bandshell stage also hosted the CNE opening ceremonies, which have since moved to The Princes’ Gates (CNE Archives)
2022 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the north-facing, open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and underwent a restoration in 1983. Notice the wind turbine in the background
2022 – The Bandshell is located in Bandshell Park at 100 Prince Edward Island Cres at Exhibition Place. Built in 1936, architects Craig & Madill designed the north-facing, open-air Art Deco-style concert venue. The structure received heritage status from the city in 1973 and underwent a restoration in 1983. Notice the wind turbine in the background
1985 – Looking north from Ontario Place across the channel towards the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand
1985 – Looking north from Ontario Place across the channel towards the Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 9, ID 163)
2020 – BMO Field is located at 170 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 2007 on the site of the former Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects designed the structure. It was the country's first soccer-specific stadium, costing nearly $63 million to construct. BMO Field is home to Toronto FC and Toronto Argos
2020 – BMO Field is located at 170 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 2007 on the site of the former Exhibition Stadium & Grandstand and Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects designed the structure. It was the country’s first soccer-specific stadium, costing nearly $63 million to construct. BMO Field is home to Toronto FC and Toronto Argos
2020 – BMO Field is located at 170 Princes' Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 2007, it's the country's first soccer-specific stadium. BMO Field is home to Toronto FC and Toronto Argos. The stadium currently seats 27,980 fans, and there are plans to increase the seating capacity to over 45,700 seats in preparation for the 2026 FIFA World Cup™
2020 – BMO Field is located at 170 Princes’ Blvd at Exhibition Place. Built in 2007, it’s the country’s first soccer-specific stadium. BMO Field is home to Toronto FC and Toronto Argos. The stadium currently seats 27,980 fans, and there are plans to increase the seating capacity to over 45,700 seats in preparation for the 2026 FIFA World Cup™
1884 - Goads Map showing the location of the Industrial Exhibition Grounds
1884 – Goads Map showing the location of the Industrial Exhibition Grounds (Toronto Public Library)
1910 - Goads Map showing the location of the Canadian National Exhibition
1910 – Goads Map showing the location of the Canadian National Exhibition (Toronto Public Library)
2020 – The wind turbine is located at the southwest corner of Exhibition Place, near Lake Shore Blvd W. Installed in 2002, the 3-blade turbine stands 30-storeys tall. It was North America's first urban wind turbine and a joint venture between WindShare and Toronto Hydro
2020 – The wind turbine is located at the southwest corner of Exhibition Place, near Lake Shore Blvd W. Installed in 2002, the 3-blade turbine stands 30-storeys tall. It was North America’s first urban wind turbine and a joint venture between WindShare and Toronto Hydro
2021 - Canadian National Exhibition heritage plaque
2021 – Canadian National Exhibition heritage plaque
SOURCE