Bank of Toronto in the 1950s & 1972

Posted:

Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The 1950s photo shows the Bank of Toronto building. Constructed in 1863 and designed by William Kauffman, it was the bank’s headquarters until 1912, later becoming a branch.

After a merger in 1955, the financial institution became known as the Toronto-Dominion Bank. In the early 1960s, the bank replaced the previous building, opening a branch in the present-day glass and steel structure. Today it’s home to The Works Craft Burgers & Beer.

In 1892, George Gooderham constructed the Gooderham Building across the street. He was also the president of the Bank of Toronto and built an underground tunnel between the two buildings.

Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The 1950s photo shows the Bank of Toronto building. Constructed in 1863 and designed by William Kauffman, it was the bank’s headquarters until 1912, later becoming a branch. 

After a merger in 1955, the financial institution became known as the Toronto-Dominion Bank. In the early 1960s, the bank replaced the previous building, opening a branch in the present-day glass and steel structure. Today it’s home to The Works Craft Burgers & Beer. 

In 1892, George Gooderham constructed the Gooderham Building across the street. He was also the president of the Bank of Toronto and built an underground tunnel between the two buildings.
1972/1950s – Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 2032, Series 841, File 68, Item 1 & Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 159)
SOURCE

Stay Connected

23,624FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,925FollowersFollow