Bank of Toronto Building in the 1950s & 2023

Posted:

Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the former Bank of Toronto building, constructed in 1863 and designed by architect William Kauffman. The building was the bank’s headquarters for decades and later became a branch.

In 1955 after a merger, the financial establishment was called the Toronto-Dominion Bank. In the early 1960s, the previous bank structure was replaced with the present-day building. For several years it continued as a bank branch, then a Pizza Pizza, and today it’s home to The Works Craft Burgers & Beer.

George Gooderham, who was both the president of the Bank of Toronto and constructed the Gooderham Building across the street in 1892, built an underground tunnel between the two buildings.

1950s/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows the former Bank of Toronto building, constructed in 1863 and designed by architect William Kauffman. The building was the bank’s headquarters for decades and later became a branch. In 1955 after a merger, the financial establishment was called the Toronto-Dominion Bank. In the early 1960s, the previous bank structure was replaced with the present-day building. For several years it continued as a bank branch, then a Pizza Pizza, and today it’s home to The Works Craft Burgers & Beer. George Gooderham, who was both the president of the Bank of Toronto and constructed the Gooderham Building across the street in 1892, built an underground tunnel between the two buildings
1950s/2023 – Looking northwest towards the corner of Church St and Wellington St E, in the St Lawrence neighbourhood of Toronto (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1128, Series 380, Item 159)
SOURCE

Stay Connected

23,627FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,925FollowersFollow