Christie Pits Park is located at 750 Bloor St W (bordered by Christie St, Barton Ave and Crawford St) in Toronto.
The Park’s History
Until the turn of the 20th century, the land the park is on was originally called Christie Sand Pits, named after Christie St, which itself was named after the co-founder of Christie, Brown & Company (now Mr Christie), William Mellis Christie.
Garrison Creek is under the park, and around the early 1900s, the creek was converted to a storm sewer. In 1908, the sand and gravel pits became Willowvale Park.
Riot at Christie Pits
On August 16, 1933, there was an anti-Semitic riot at the park. After a playoff baseball game ended, young men from the “Pit Gang” provoked the predominantly Jewish “Harbord Playground” team. This resulted in a 5-hour riot; while no one died, there were many injuries.
Sports and the Park Today
Founded in 1969, the Toronto Maple Leafs team of the Intercounty Baseball League calls the park home turf.
In 1983, the greenspace and sports facility was renamed Christie Pits Park.
Today, the 8.9 hectares (21.9 acres) park with sloped sides features three baseball diamonds, a swimming pool, basketball and volleyball courts, a multi-sport field (soccer/football/rugby), an artificial ice rink, a children’s playground with a wading pool and splash pad, a ping pong table and a community garden. While the park is in the Christie Pits neighbourhood, it also borders Koreatown and Bloordale Village.
There’s limited street parking available, and it’s across from the Christie subway station.