Casino Theatre, later the Civic Square and then Festival Theatre, was once located at 87-95 Queen St W (west of Bay St on the south side) in Downtown Toronto.
Opening in 1936, architects Kaplan & Sprachman designed the $200,000 theatre. The theatre featured 1,100 seats with 300 seats in the mezzanine, air-conditioning and a wide, shallow layout so that everyone had a “front-row” view of the stage.
The theatre presented variety entertainment on the stage, along with movies. On opening day, prices ranged from 16¢ in the morning to 35¢ for evening performances.
The Casino reopened as Civic Square Theatre and, in 1963, became the Festival. The theatre closed in 1965, and the building, along with the rest of the block, was demolished that same year.
Casino Theatre Photos
- The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Apr 11, 1936, pg 9
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Dec 20, 1962, pg 13
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Jul 21, 1965, pg 27
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Feb 30, 1980, pg 7
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
- Toronto City Directory 1937, 1962 & 1965 from the Toronto Public Library