Capitol Theatre, originally the York and also known as York Eglinton Theatre, was once located at 2492 Yonge St (at Castlefield Ave on the northwest corner) in the Lawrence Park South neighbourhood of Toronto.
In 1914, the building that was home to York Theatre was completed, and the theatre opened the following year. According to the Toronto Directory, it remained in operation until the early-1920s. Soon after, keeping the original rear auditorium, the present-day Late Classical Revival style building was constructed. The theatre was renamed the Capitol, and it was in operation until 1998. It later underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and became an event venue.
The building block, from 2490 to 2510 Yonge St, received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 2016.
There are plans to develop the property into a mixed-use building called The Capital Residences, preserving the historic facade.
Capitol Theatre Photos
- City of Toronto Heritage Register: 2490-2510 Yonge St
- City of Toronto: 2490 and 2506 Yonge Street Attachment No. 4
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives, Toronto Public Library & Archives of Ontario
- Toronto City Directory 1915, 1920 & 1932 from the Toronto Public Library
- Artist Rendering Illustration: The Capitol Residences