The building has quite a long history with several phases of construction, beginning with the Palace Street School in 1859 and the second-storey school addition in 1869. An extension was added for The Irving House (hotel) in 1890, and a final addition for Thomas Davidson Manufacturing in the early 1920s.
The building has been home to several other businesses, including the Cherry Street Hotel and Canary Restaurant. Today, the heritage-designated building will be incorporated into the mixed-use development called the Canary House.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives