Brockton Hotel – Once at Dundas St W & Sheridan Ave

Posted:

The Brockton Hotel was once located at 1541-1553 Dundas St W (at Sheridan Ave, on the southeast corner) in the Brockton Village neighbourhood of Toronto.

The Toronto City Directory has the hotel first listed in 1890 as the Brockton Club House, and at the time, the address was 547 Dundas St W.

By the early 1900s, the three-storey building and land were owned by the O’Keefe Brewing Co. However, the proprietor of the hotel business, which included a license to sell alcohol and hotel furnishings, was James McGrath. He sold his business in 1913 for $60,000. The street was also renumbered, and the hotel’s address became 1541-1553 Dundas St W.

The land and building remained in the ownership of the brewing company until 1922, and after 20 years, they sold what was known then as “the old landmark” building and property for $40,000.

The hotel and drinking establishment later became known as the Brockton Hotel.

The building was demolished after 1978 (the date of the last newspaper article found). Today the site is home to a low-rise, mixed-use building.

How Brockton Village Got Its Name

In 1812, two parcels of land in the Town of York were granted to James Brock, cousin of Sir Issac Brock, for his service in the British military. One parcel was Park Lot 30, located between Queen St W (then Lot St) and Bloor St W, just west of Dufferin St. When James passed away in 1830, his wife Lucy inherited his estate. Mrs Brock never lived in Toronto, but she held onto the land, and it wasn’t until 1850 that she began subdividing and selling it for development. In 1881, the area, which had been known for decades as Brockton, was incorporated into the Village of Brockton and, just three years later, was amalgamated with the City of Toronto.

Brockton Hotel Photos

1922 - Hotel Brockton, originally Brockton Club House, and lastly, Brockton Hotel, was once located at 1541-1553 Dundas St W and Sheridan Ave on the southeast corner in Toronto's Brockton Village neighbourhood. The three-storey building was clad with brick. Notice the Brockton Café on the right and the for sale sign on the centre-left
1922 – Hotel Brockton, originally Brockton Club House, and lastly, Brockton Hotel, was once located at 1541-1553 Dundas St W and Sheridan Ave on the southeast corner in Toronto’s Brockton Village neighbourhood. The three-storey building was clad with brick. Notice the Brockton Café on the right and the for sale sign on the centre-left (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 42)
2023 - Today, the southeast corner of Dundas St W and Sheridan Ave in the Brockton Village neighbourhood of Toronto is home to a low-rise, mixed-use building. It was once the site of the Brockton Hotel. Notice the Dundas West Mural at 1547 Dundas St W created by artist Jose Ortega in 2013
2023 – Today, the southeast corner of Dundas St W and Sheridan Ave in the Brockton Village neighbourhood of Toronto is home to a low-rise, mixed-use building. It was once the site of the Brockton Hotel. Notice the Dundas West Mural at 1547 Dundas St W created by artist Jose Ortega in 2013
1967 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Brockton Hotel
1967 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Brockton Hotel (Toronto Public Library)
1920 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Hotel Brockton
1920 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Hotel Brockton (Toronto Public Library)
1890 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Brockton Club House
1890 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Brockton Club House (Toronto Public Library)
1910 - Goads Map showing the location of the Hotel Brockton
1910 – Goads Map showing the location of the Hotel Brockton (Toronto Public Library)
Between 1793 and 1834 - In 1812, Park Lot 30, shown on the Town of York map, was granted to James Brock for his service in the British military. This lot was located between present-day Queen St W and Bloor St W, west of Dufferin St. Today, the area is known as Brockton Village
Between 1793 and 1834 – In 1812, Park Lot 30, shown on the Town of York map, was granted to James Brock for his service in the British military. This lot was located between present-day Queen St W and Bloor St W, west of Dufferin St. Today, the area is known as Brockton Village (Toronto Public Library)
SOURCE
  • The Toronto Daily Star Newspaper Archives: Dec 6, 1913, pg 19
  • The Globe Newspaper Archives: Dec 16, 1922, pg 24
  • The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Dec 31, 1946, pg 1
  • The Toronto Star Newspaper Archives: Feb 2, 1978, pg A3
  • The Fife and Drum: Mar 2009, Volume 13, Number 1
  • Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
  • Toronto City Directory by Might Directories Ltd 1890, 1920 & 1967 courtesy of Toronto Public Library
  • Vintage Map: Town of York 1793-1834 & Atlas of the City of Toronto 1910 by Chas E Goad courtesy of Toronto Public Library

Stay Connected

23,627FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,925FollowersFollow