Looking northeast on Yonge St from Charles St, straddling the Bay-Cloverhill and Church-Wellesley neighbourhoods of Toronto.
The building in the foreground on the right is Postal Station F. Built in 1905, the heritage-designated Edwardian-style structure was designed by architect David Ewart. Today, the former post office is home to commercial space.
In the archive photo, the light grey three-storey building a few doors up from the post office was constructed circa 1889. Over the building’s history, it has housed various businesses, including a lamp store, drug store, cigar shop, and art gallery. In 1949, it became the Brass Rail Tavern.
Then and Now
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives