Looking northeast towards the corner of Front St E and George St in the Old Town neighbourhood of Toronto. The archive photo shows a Shell gas station at the corner; however, from about 1820 until 1919, the family home of George Monro (Toronto’s 6th mayor), which later became the Black Horse Hotel, once stood at the site. After the hotel was torn down, various businesses and gas stations occupied the site. Today, the northeast corner is home to a mixed-use building.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives