Circa 1885/2023 – Looking northeast towards the corner of Front St E and George St in Toronto’s Old Town neighbourhood. The archive photo shows the Black Horse Hotel. The structure was built about 1820 and was originally the family home of George Monro, who served as Toronto’s 6th mayor.
In the early 1840s, when the Monros moved out, William Rolph took over the residence and turned it into a tavern. He called it the Black Horse Inn; however, it was later renamed the Black Horse Hotel. The old hotel was torn down in 1919. Afterwards, various businesses and gas stations occupied the former hotel site, and today, the northeast corner is home to a mixed-use building.
Notice in both photos the building on the far left. It was constructed in 1879/80 and was originally the Little York Inn.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: Toronto Public Library