Bishop’s Block in 1890 & 2023

Posted:

Looking northeast towards the Bishop’s Block at the corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto.

Built circa 1830 to 1840, the building was constructed for John Bishop, a butcher and landlord, initially part of five brick townhouses. It later became a boarding house, and from the 1880s until the mid-1960s, various hotels, including the Senate House, the JJ O’Connor Hotel, the Harry Clark Hotel, and, for many decades, Hotel Adelaide, were located there.

From 1965 until the 1980s, the Georgian-style structure became the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the building was dismantled and restored to appear as it was before a 1910 renovation.

Today, the heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto, a members-only club.

Circa 1890/2023 - Looking northeast towards the Bishop’s Block at the corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto. Built circa 1830 to 1840, the building was constructed for John Bishop, a butcher and landlord, initially part of five brick townhouses. It later became a boarding house. From the 1880s until the mid-1960s, various hotels, including the Senate House, the JJ O’Connor Hotel, the Harry Clark Hotel and for many decades Hotel Adelaide. From 1965 until the 1980s, the Georgian-style structure became the Pretzel Bell Tavern. From 2009 to 2011, the site was redeveloped, and the building was dismantled and restored to appear as before a 1910 renovation. Today the heritage-designated building is the Soho House Toronto, a members-only club
Circa 1890/2023 – Looking northeast towards the Bishop’s Block at the corner of Adelaide St W and Simcoe St in downtown Toronto (Toronto Public Library R-6627)
SOURCE

Stay Connected

24,077FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow