Biltmore Theatre – Once in the Downtown Yonge Area

The Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St (north of Dundas St E on the east side) in the Downtown Yonge area of Toronto.

Built in 1947/48, the Biltmore was part of the Okun theatre chain. With a red and green colour scheme, the theatre featured 900+ seats, with over 300 of them on the balcony. Its opening film was the 1948 movie “The Mating of Millie” starring Glenn Ford.

The theatre closed in 1983. In 2007, the present-day shopping centre was completed and is known as 10 Dundas East.

Biltmore Theatre Photos

Between 1979 to 1983 - Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, north of Dundas St E
Between 1979 to 1983 – Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, north of Dundas St E (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 610, Item 31)
1950 - Looking north on Yonge St from Dundas St. On the right, notice the Biltmore Theatre followed by Olympia Bowling & Billiards, Le Coq d’Or Tavern and Hotel Edison
1950 – Looking north on Yonge St from Dundas St. On the right, notice the Biltmore Theatre followed by Olympia Bowling & Billiards, Le Coq d’Or Tavern and Hotel Edison (Brigdens Limited Photography & City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 13, Id 49320)
1975 - Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, just north of Dundas St. Notice on the right, Franks Hamburgers, Muntz and Tops Restaurant, followed by the theatre
1975 – Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, just north of Dundas St. Notice on the right, Franks Hamburgers, Muntz and Tops Restaurant, followed by the theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1526, File 3, Item 36)
1950 – Looking north from Yonge St and Dundas St toward the Brown Derby Tavern, Silver Grill, Biltmore Theatre and Olympia Bowling & Billiards
1950 – Looking north from Yonge St and Dundas St toward the Brown Derby Tavern, Silver Grill, Biltmore Theatre and Olympia Bowling & Billiards (Brigdens Limited Photography & City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 29, Id 49507)
1950 - Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, north of Dundas St E on the east side. On the marquee, “Sundown,” starring Gene Tierney, was playing
1950 – Biltmore Theatre was once located at 319 Yonge St, north of Dundas St E on the east side. On the marquee, “Sundown,” starring Gene Tierney, was playing (Brigdens Limited Photography & City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 18, Id 49375)
Between 1983 to 1985 – Looking northwest from Dundas St and Yonge St. Notice Franks Hamburgers, Pinball Games, the boarded-up Biltmore Theatre and Cheapies Records
Between 1983 to 1985 – Looking northwest from Dundas St and Yonge St. Notice Franks Hamburgers, Pinball Games, the boarded-up Biltmore Theatre and Cheapies Records (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 610, Item 2)
1950 – Looking north from Dundas St and Yonge St toward the Silver Grill, Biltmore Theatre, Olympia Bowling & Billiards, Le Coq d’Or Tavern and Hotel Edison
1950 – Looking north from Dundas St and Yonge St toward the Silver Grill, Biltmore Theatre, Olympia Bowling & Billiards, Le Coq d’Or Tavern and Hotel Edison (Brigdens Limited Photography & City of Toronto Archives, Series 574, File 22, Id 49412)
1972 – Looking south from the corner of Yonge St and Edward St towards Biltmore Theatre, Coles Bookstore, Downtown Theatre, and Imperial Theatre
1972 – Looking south from the corner of Yonge St and Edward St towards Biltmore Theatre, Coles Bookstore, Downtown Theatre, and Imperial Theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Series 1465, File 312, Item 87)
2021 – Looking east from Yonge St and Edward St just north of Dundas St towards where the Biltmore Theatre once stood
2021 – Looking east from Yonge St and Edward St just north of Dundas St towards where the Biltmore Theatre once stood
1950 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Biltmore Theatre
1950 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Biltmore Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
SOURCE
  • The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Apr 13, 1948, pg 19
  • The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Jan 5, 1984, pg L3
  • Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
  • Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
  • Toronto City Directory 1950 from the Toronto Public Library