Bay Theatre, originally the Colonial, was once located at 45 Queen St W (east of Bay St on the south side) in Downtown Toronto.
In 1910, the Colonial Theatre opened in the Franklin Building. The theatre closed in 1932 and was dark for 17 years until it reopened as the Bay Theatre.
In 1959, Robert Simpson Co Ltd purchased the Bay Theatre building for $400,000. The theatre closed in 1965. The Simpson Tower was built on the site.
Bay Theatre Photos
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Feb 4, 1950, pg 2
- The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: May 29, 1959, pg 4
- Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
- Toronto City Directory 1910 & 1964 from the Toronto Public Library