Bay Theatre, originally the Colonial

Posted:

Bay Theatre, originally the Colonial, was once located at 45 Queen St W (east of Bay St on the south side) in Downtown Toronto.

In 1910, the Colonial Theatre opened in the Franklin Building. The theatre closed in 1932 and was dark for 17 years until it reopened as the Bay Theatre.

In 1959, Robert Simpson Co Ltd purchased the Bay Theatre building for $400,000. The theatre closed in 1965. The Simpson Tower was built on the site.

Bay Theatre Photos

1953 - Bay Theatre, originally Colonial Theatre, once at 45 Queen St W. On the marquee, "Isle of Desire" and "The Hairy Ape" were playing
1953 – Bay Theatre, originally Colonial Theatre, once at 45 Queen St W. On the marquee, “Isle of Desire” and “The Hairy Ape” were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, ID 16)
1960s - Bay Theatre once at 45 Queen St W, two doors east of Bay St on the south side. On the marquee, "The Small World of Sammy Lee," a 1963 British crime film, was playing
1960s – Bay Theatre once at 45 Queen St W, two doors east of Bay St on the south side. On the marquee, “The Small World of Sammy Lee,” a 1963 British crime film, was playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 15, ID 13)
1923 - Colonial Theatre, once at 45 Queen St W. On the marquee, “Tess of the Storm Country” with Mary Pickford and “Who Are My Parents” were playing
1923 – Colonial Theatre, once at 45 Queen St W. On the marquee, “Tess of the Storm Country” with Mary Pickford and “Who Are My Parents” were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1231, Item 85)
1920 - Colonial Theatre once at 45 Queen St W. Also pictured is the Temple Building once at Adelaide St W and Bay St
1920 – Colonial Theatre once at 45 Queen St W. Also pictured is the Temple Building once at Adelaide St W and Bay St (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1244, Item 515)
1932 - Mayor WJ Stewart passing by the Colonial Theatre once at 45 Queen St W
1932 – Mayor WJ Stewart passing by the Colonial Theatre once at 45 Queen St W (City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Sub Series 41, Item 282)
1939 - Queen St W decorated for the Royal visit. Photo was taken from Old City Hall towards Bowles Lunch and the then-closed Colonial Theatre
1939 – Queen St W decorated for the Royal visit. Photo was taken from Old City Hall towards Bowles Lunch and the then-closed Colonial Theatre (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1173, Item 22)
1928 - Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Queen St W. The Colonial Theatre was one building east of the corner
1928 – Looking southeast towards the corner of Bay St and Queen St W. The Colonial Theatre was one building east of the corner (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1266, Item 13141)
2022 – Looking southeast towards Queen St W and Bay St, where the Colonial and the Bay Theatre once stood
2022 – Looking southeast towards Queen St W and Bay St, where the Colonial and the Bay Theatre once stood
1964 - Looking southeast towards the Bay Theatre, originally Colonial Theatre, once located at 45 Queen St W, two doors east of Bay St. On the marquee, “The Small World of Sammy Lee” a 1963 British crime film starring Anthony Newley and Julia Foster, Anthony Newley, Julia Foster was playing
1964 – Looking southeast towards the Bay Theatre, originally Colonial Theatre, once located at 45 Queen St W, two doors east of Bay St. On the marquee, “The Small World of Sammy Lee” a 1963 British crime film starring Anthony Newley and Julia Foster, Anthony Newley, Julia Foster was playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 1, ID 137)
1910 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Colonial Theatre
1910 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Colonial Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1964 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Bay Theatre
1964 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Bay Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
SOURCE
  • The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: Feb 4, 1950, pg 2
  • The Globe and Mail Newspaper Archives: May 29, 1959, pg 4
  • Photos: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
  • Vintage Photos: City of Toronto Archives
  • Toronto City Directory 1910 & 1964 from the Toronto Public Library

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

24,077FollowersFollow
103FollowersFollow
8,850FollowersFollow