Looking northwest from Spadina Rd and Davenport Rd towards the Baldwin Steps and the Casa Loma’s east wall in Toronto. The staircase in the archive photo was constructed in 1913 to replace wooden steps. The Baldwin Steps we know today were rebuilt and opened in 1988.
Made of concrete, they rise to a circular landing flanked by retaining walls and pillars and contain a small amphitheatre. There are 110 steps that zigzag from landing to landing up the steep hill, all surrounded by beautiful trees, plants and flowers.
- Photo: Denise Marie for TorontoJourney416
- Vintage Photo: City of Toronto Archives