Originally the Allenby Theatre, later the Roxy, was once located at 1213 Danforth Ave (east of Greenwood Ave on the south side) in The Danforth neighbourhood of Toronto.
Built in 1935/36, the Art Moderne style building was designed by Kaplan & Sprachman, who specialized in designing movie theatres. The renowned architect team created many of Toronto’s beautiful marquee movie palaces, including the Bloordale and Eglinton.
In the mid-1970s, the theatre was renamed the Roxy. It was a repertory cinema that screened older classic and noteworthy films. For a few years, the theatre was also named the Apollo.
The building received heritage status from the City of Toronto in 1985 and Ontario Heritage Trust in 2007.
The Imperial Oil company purchased the property, and in 2011, the restoration of the historic theatre was completed. The building once again features the former theatre’s facade, marquee and ticket booth. Today the building is home to Tim Horton’s and Circle K.