Allen Theatre, later the Tivoli

The Allen Theatre, later Tivoli, was once located at 17 Richmond St E (at Victoria St on the southwest corner) in Downtown Toronto.

Jule and Jay Allen, movie pioneering brothers, opened the Allen Theatre in 1917. It was one of many theatres they operated in the city. The building was designed by architects Hynes, Feldman & Watson and Detroit-based Charles Howard Crane.

Other theatres in the city built by the Allen brothers include Allen’s Danforth (today’s Danforth Music Hall) and Allen’s College.

In 1923, the theatre was acquired by Famous Players and renamed Tivoli. The theatre closed in 1965, and the building was later demolished.

The southwest corner is now home to Cambridge Suites Toronto.

Allen & Tivoli Theatre Photos  

1917- Allen Theatre, later Tivoli once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner - on the marquee, Bab's Diary was playing
1917- Allen Theatre, later Tivoli once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner – on the marquee, Bab’s Diary was playing (Library and Archives Canada /John Boyd fonds/a071305)
1919 - Allen Theatre, later Tivoli, once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner - on the marquee, The Sky Pilot and Trust Your Wife were playing
1919 – Allen Theatre, later Tivoli, once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner – on the marquee, The Sky Pilot and Trust Your Wife were playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1331, Item 842)
1956 - Looking southeast towards the Tivoli Theatre, originally the Allen, once at 17 Richmond St E and Victoria St - building no longer exists
1956 – Looking southeast towards the Tivoli Theatre, originally the Allen, once at 17 Richmond St E and Victoria St – building no longer exists (Toronto Public Library R-5619)
1948 – Tivoli Theatre once on the southwest corner of Richmond St E and Victoria St – on the marquee, Cry of the City was playing
1948 – Tivoli Theatre once on the southwest corner of Richmond St E and Victoria St – on the marquee, Cry of the City was playing (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 505)
1965 - Tivoli Theatre, once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner. The theatre closed this same year and the building was later torn down
1965 – Tivoli Theatre, once at Richmond St E and Victoria St, southwest corner. The theatre closed this same year and the building was later torn down (City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 1, ID 148)
2021 - Cambridge Suites Toronto is located at 15 Richmond St E and Victoria St on the southwest corner in Downtown Toronto – where the Allen Theatre, later Tivoli Theatre, once stood
2021 – Cambridge Suites Toronto is located at 15 Richmond St E and Victoria St on the southwest corner in Downtown Toronto – where the Allen Theatre, later Tivoli Theatre, once stood
1921 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Allen Theatre, which was later named Tivoli Theatre
1921 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address of the Allen Theatre, which was later named Tivoli Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
1950 - The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Tivoli Theatre
1950 – The Toronto City Directory showing the address and phone number of the Tivoli Theatre (Toronto Public Library)
SOURCE